1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Coupler problem again?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by cmo18, Jan 14, 2009.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Alright, so the other day I replaced one of my couplers and the plow would not turn. So I replaced the new coupler with another new coupler and the blade would turn perfectly. I go out plowing today and the plow is now very slow at turning at times and sometimes it wont turn at all. Another bad coupler? MM1 thanks Chris

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

are you freezing up? What kinda plow is it?

3. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

It's an Fisher MM1, the reason I first changed the coupler was because I had fluid all over the front right of my bumper and every once and a while the plow would turn right....Now its slow both ways...

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

What kind of coupler did you replace it with, the ball type or pin type?

I just went through 4 different pin type couplers form napa (supposedly the S.A.M. brand). I know better than to use the pin type but was trying to finish a project and thats all i could get my hands on. Finally made it over to the dealer i usually buy from and picked up a set of ball type and all my problems were gone.

5. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I got them right from my local fisher part supplier...Its the ball type..the plow will angle but not all the time, so its like the ball is sticking?

6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Replaced the coupler with another new one and the problem seems fixed...new couplers are junk

7. Crash935

Seams to be alot of that going around with the couplers lately. The chinese made ones are the worse.

8. ohio snowdog

ohio snowdog Junior Member

Has anyone found the best brand couplers to use ? Are the ball style better than the pin ?

9. Crash935

ball couplers are alot better than the pin couplers.

10. ohio snowdog

ohio snowdog Junior Member

I take it the oem meyers are the best ? Anyone know, who has the best prices on them ?

11. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

Not sure what you guys mean by ball vs pin type? I have an older Speedcast system and it wouldn't turn, then started turning again and figured it was a bad connection, but then I noticed the back of the DS coupler was leaking (by the collar, not the threads to the valve). Sounds the coupler needs to be replaced like those above, even though it wasn't leaking before the fluid change (and wasn't removed for this, the male side was)...

Jeff

12. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

the new meyer 1s are the way 2 go 50.00 a set but good for years. the pin 1s are junk........