1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Couple quick questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Lynden-Jeff, May 24, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Hi,

I am new to the plowing and landscaping business and im doing some research for the winter. Its a little late for landscaping but Im going to make a go of it and advertise my snow removal services as well.

The questions I have are related to the actual times of plow and the amounts. When do you guys go and do your clients? After 100% of the snow has fallen or during? If we are expecting alot (1-2 FT) do you plow during and after the storm? Does this count as 1 plow or 2 if you have to do it twice? Also what is the minimum you will go out for? Is there a minimum or is it something you setup with the client? I am using a GMC 1500 4 X 4 with either a light weight blizzard blade or a 7'6" Boss plow. Main customers im going to focus on are appartment buildings and commercial accounts.

Thanks a bunch!

Jeff

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

If I were you doing commercial accounts with that light of a truck, I would set up some sort of trigger with the customer. Say like every 4" you plow or something like that. With residentials, some customers want you to do a trigger, some want you to do it when it is all done. I pretty much let them choose, but if it is 8" and still snowing I plow because my truck is also a 1500. Anything more would be pushing it on some driveways. Then if it still snows a bit I plow again and charge them again. You might want to reconsider doing large commercial accounts with a small truck IMO.

3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Your going to need a bigger truck. Stick with residentials with a 1500.

Your best bet is to be a subcontractor this season to get experience. To many guys have dug themself into a huge hole in the first year plowing. Plus if you got into a law suit over a slip in fall. Having some experience plowing and salting could save you big time.

4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Hi,

I think you misunderstood me a little. Most of my business will be residential but I would like some small commercial or subcontracting for a property managment company. Eventually (possibly years down the road) id like to focus on commercial so I need to start learning now. If I have to I will buy a bigger truck in the fall but id prefer to see if I can do it with the 1500.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

if it's residential i'd ask the customer exactally what they want. write it down so you don't forget and do excatly what they want. whenever it comes to residential they are the boss. if you don't do what they say you will get an ass chewing by most. charge accordingly to what you think is fair for you. keep them happy and you can slide right into commercial accounts as the years pass.

6. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

We do primarilly all commercials, schools, chain stores, etc. Almost all our accounts have a 1" trigger. As soon as we have 1" we start. We do the circuit, then if it is still snowing we go again. The idea for us is to cut snow at 1", wether it is still snowing or not. They just want their account kept clean. Our situation is different from most of yours because we seldom get much more than 1". I have charged accounts up to 3 times for one storm. They don't care as long as there is no snow on thier parking lots. I would say for you it is up to the individual consumer. Some want to be plowed after the storm ends and some want better service than that. We have a prison that wants 1/2" cut every time it snows. It is especially important to have a contract drawn up and signed explaining the scope of the services that you are providing so that, if you hold up your end, there will be very little bitching later.