1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Couple Questions

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ScottPA, Nov 19, 2009.

1. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

I take my truck to the Local Ford dealer near me where I bought my 06 F350 6.0 to get everything looked over before snow starts to fall, and while I'm there I tell them about a slight hum that I've been hearing coming from the front end. So a few hours later I get a call from them telling me that the 4 bearings in my rear-end are no good and that they have to replace them..tell me its going to cost almost 800$ and almost 6 hours of labor.

Have any of you out there had any issues like this..I just hit 45,000 miles and the truck hasn't really ever seen a day of hard work. And does the amount of money/hours of labor seem a little high?

And my other question is...I know the 6.0 Has a really crappy rep but when i bought the truck the dealer told me that I had nothing to worry about that the 06 year diesel is completely updated and all the issues with the first generation 6.0 have all been taken care of.... Is this true..and what kind of things should i be looking out for to keep the engine running strong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
  2. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

bump up ^^
  3. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I dont own a 6.0 but from what ive read on the forums the 06-07's still have some of the regular 6.0 problems but they arent as bad as the 03-04s.
  4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

I'd get a second opinion. I've never had to do rear bearings on a superduty... Much less one with only 45k miles... Superduty rear ends are all but bulletproof.
  5. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

Bump Up ^^
  6. Can-Boy

Can-Boy Member

I have 04 6.0L with 140 k 1 broken rocker arm just got fixed.But other than that I'm quite happy.Also I have never heard of differential trouble and upgraded them with 250k on them
  7. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Shouldn't the bearings be covered under the 5 year 100k mile warranty?
  8. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

They told me that I dont have a powertrain warranty...said that I only had the 3/36,000 and the 5/100k for the engine and thats it.. I should call ford and see whats going on.
  9. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Scott, their right no powertrain warranty after 36,000 miles, only engine, same on my 05 and 07

As far as the dealer saying all fixes complete on 2006, also not true, that's the reason I waited till the last year for the 6.0, 2007. I had a 2005 6.0 and had nothing but problems, was going to turn it in on a 2006, even take a loss and my dealer said to wait till 2007, he was right, didn't have 1/4 of the problems the 2005 had.

Biggest was the HPOP, had to remove the cab to do the fix, if you have an opportuniyt to purchase the 200K Engine warranty I would highly recommend it.

Go to dieselstop.com, you can get a ton of info there as well as see what issues are poping up on the 2006's.

Best of luck to you..

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Never heard of read end bearings going bad that soon.
    Change the grease and drive it. See if it still makes noise
  11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Still call Ford and ***** and see what they do. And check for yourself if there were any recalls on this problem.
  12. firedawg

firedawg Member
    from S.E. CT

check this site out powerstrokehelp.com save me some $$$$$$$!
  13. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

Seems like the rear end had to low on gear oil to have all four bearings to be bad.