1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Couple questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by New_to_plowing, Nov 28, 2001.

1. New_to_plowing

New_to_plowing Junior Member

Just got a new 8'2" Boss "V" plow put on my 95 F250. On my way home I noticed the temp guage go way up, and I pulled over. I noticed that my fan hits the fan shroud when the plow is raised. Anybody ever had this happen?

Also, I was driving with the plow in the "V" posistion and going about 45mph. Should the truck run hot even if the fan wasn't hitting the shroud? (after I figure out how to fix it) I did a search, but couldn't seem to find anything. Thanks for anybodys help in advance. I can't wait to try out my (first) and new plow....let the snow fly!!!

2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

We own a fair number of Boss V plows.
    The fan should not hit the shroud.
    45 MPH is just a bit fast.
    If you heat up, put the plow in a full angle to one side or the other (not the V or Scoop position) and you'll get air flow to the radiator. We often just raise the plow high enough to clear the pavement but low enough to allow air to flow to the front of the truck.

3. New_to_plowing

Thanks

I thought about driving with the plow on an angle, (for better flow) but the dealer told me to drive it in the V position. If it's ok to do, then I'll try it on an angle.

As far as driving speed goes.....what do ya do when driving on the highway, where the minimum speed is 45mph. Don't get me wrong, I'm a slow driver regardless. At the same time, I wanna be safe, and nice and easy on my truck....she's gotta last!

4. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

What was the outside temp? If it was 60 that could be part of it. Try to angle the plow or lower for better airflow. As for the highway try to stick to smaller roads.

5. ScottyB.

ScottyB. Member

I had the same thing happen to me Monday night on my way home with my first plow. It was 35 degrees. I took it as a rookie mistake, since I had the plow raised as high as it could go (straight blade). My old Ford heated up FAST. Then I lowered it to about 2 inches above the pavement, waited for the engine to cool a few minutes, then it ran fine, even at 55 mph.

I was wondering the same question. Without the plow temp. runs at about 1/4 of the gauge. With plow the best I could get was about 1/2 of the gauge. Should I expect any better? I guess I won't be putting many miles on with the plow on.

Now that you know how much of a rookie I am, How much weight should I put in the box to counter this 8'2" Hiniker(I'm afraid to say the H word with some of you guys out there. We can discuss that after I have some hours on the thing. Right now I couldn't be happier with it, but its sitting on the grass.)

They got 18" of snow in norther WI, Nothing here near Green Bay though.

Later,
    Scotty B.

6. BerksLawn

BerksLawn Junior Member

We angle are straight plows to. The highway isnt a problem with us because we only put the plows on right before it snows so during the storm u should be goin 45mph tops and there shouldnt be a problem.

Steve

7. RCIPlow

RCIPlow Member

Hey guys, just finished mounting frame to my new 90 F250, never again,lol. Anyhow, your question is very timely because tomarrow I am mounting a new flex fan on the F250 in place of the factory fan. Same problem as you have happened to me last year in my suburban. My buddy told me to replace factory with after market flex fan. Did it, never heated up again. Hope it helps.
    Regards
    Tim McGonigal
    Atco, NJ
    RCI

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I would double-check the installation; sounds like the radiator support is moving from the weight of the plow, should not be happening.

9. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

This is not in reference to New_to_plowing's question but John Allin's reply prompted a related question I have.
    Which way do you guys angle your plows when transporting? I have heard/seen guys that angle to the left with the reasoning that the right lower corner of the plow is less likely strike an object such as a curb. I always carry mine angled to the right since the left side of the plow is actually further away from oncomming traffic. I would rather have a curb find me than an oncomming vehicle.

10. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

My bet is that the 250 suspensions is bottomed out with the tires jammed up in the wheelwells, causing the energy to be transferred to the rad support, and in turn causing the fan to shroud contact.
    First off get some load boosters and or new front springs. Next make sure you run some rear ballast when plowing.
    If it was me I would run in the v position, less counter weight that will cause the front end to bob as you drive down the road.
    Make sure you have a good thermostat. When we installed a v plow on our 89 chevy last season, it would run hot, changed the thermostat, and all was better.
    Also do you have the deflector for the plow. If not get one. The plow will push the sir up over the hood causing lack of airflow to radiator. By install ing the deflector, the air is kept in front of the plow, and clean air can then come over the plow and into the radiator. What might be stopping the fan is lack of airflow.
    Dino

Last edited: Nov 28, 2001
  11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

We angle ours left. So that the left corner of the plow is close to the truck and ground. V-plow I run in the v-position when transporting any meaningful distance.

12. RCIPlow

RCIPlow Member

Good points by all. A quick followup, Most if not all trucks have fans that come on by the thermostat built into the fan base, looks like a springy thing or are electronically contoled and come on at a certain temp. Flex fans run when the engine does, there fore they are cooling before it gets hot. As far as plow angle when driving, if it aint down making money, its angled to the right. Heres hoping for snow.
    Regards
    Tim
    Atco, NJ

13. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I always angle to the right. In case the corner catches a snow back, I'd rather have it bounce me off than pull me in. Probably doesn't really matter, but that was my thinking.

14. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Just wanted to jump in on the conversation, most of you know that I am a factory rep. I travel with my straight blade or V-blade all year long and have never overheated. I travel with the lobo in the "V" position and the straight blade fully angled left with one light shinning through the lexan and the other over the top of the deflector. Our company runs all GMC2500HD this year and the 2500 last year, the 2500 Diesel previously. I run Indiana,Michigan,Illinois below I-88, & Kentucky, so I get some hot weather. I drive whatever speed the the others are driving. Also keep in mind that I have a safety coupling that goes around my lift cylinder incase of loss of hydraulics so I am not too concerned about my plow hitting the pavement inadvertantly. And yes I get a lot of very odd looks when I pull in for gas and its 90 degrees outside. One other thing to consider is moldboard height, some are shorter than others thus not allowing to raise as high.

15. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I know how that feels Bryan... I've had my spreader on for only the past two weeks, and I've been getting all sorts of strange looks. :D

I agree with Dino though. If the fan is hitting the shroud, it sound like there may be some issues with the truck. Is the frame cracked? Is the radiator support bent or broken? I haven't been under a Ford truck in a long time, so I don't really remember what's going on under there. I would definately get that fixed before you go out plowing... or you may end up on the side of the road.

16. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'd be willing to bet either your radiator support (R/S) is shot or you've got a broken motor mount causing the fan interference, there isn't any reason that the plow should cause this to happen. The Ford's R/S frequently rot out at the mounting bolt, I'd look here first.

As for plow position, I always run mine low and angled left in case some bonehead ran into me they'd be deflected away somewhat.

17. New_to_plowing

Thanks

Thanks for everyones input, that's why I love this site! I don't post much because I usually spend hours just reading posts, and doing searches, so I can learn as much as possible before going out to plow.

As far as my truck goes, the fan/shroud problem is fixed. The fan shroud mount came loose and the shroud "slipped" down a little.

When I had the dealer install the plow, he indicated to me that the front end of the truck had allready been "beefed" up. There was an extra spring added, and the truck allready had the holes from a previous mounted plow. (I bought the truck used) He also said everything appears to be taken care of, and the truck is in great shape.

As far as heating up goes, maybe I'm driving with the plow to high. I have it at the highest it will go, and it's about 4 to 5" off the ground. (maybe a little higher) I'm just a little nervous about hitting a pothole or bad bump, and the plow slamming into the Pavement if I lower it anymore. (rookie!) The truck sits real nice, and hardly sags even when the plow is raised. My fan runs whenever the truck is running, and I'm gonna change the thermostat just to see what happens.......180 degrees?