1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Couple questions on a plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 90plow, Sep 23, 2003.

1. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

My dad went to the western dealer by house the other day and the dealer said for an 8'6" ultra mount installed 3,600. I thought that was kinda high what do you think? The dealer said the price went up due to the new wiring that has only one relay box or something of that nature and that they dont really go bad like the old ones did. Also another member on this site is selling an 8'6" unimount with a newly rebuilt pump for 1,800 it is a 1995 I believe and doesnt include any mounts or wiring harness'. The truck we will be mounting it on is a new style 2001 chevy 3500 dually 4x4 do they make mounts for the uni-mount that fit the new style chevy and how much for the mount and average installation price would you guys say? Sorry for all the questions.
    Thanks in advance,
    Eric

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

$3600.00 for a 8-6 ultra installed is about right, dont know about the line that its a little more because of the e-force harness. Pretty much all westerns are standrard with e-force now and it is a lot nicer than the old relays and a lot more reliable. the uni-mount mount is still available (part no 63360-2 if i remember right), will run about $400 plus $200 for the harness, $50 for solenoid and battery cables (they are not part of the harness), what about a controller for another $200 plus, and about $300 for labor. $1800 for just a blade, another $1100 to get it on the truck or a brand new ultra mount with a 2 year warranty that you can drive right into? If it was up to me, go new!

3. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

Depending on your intended use, 8-6 might be a little tight while angled. I have never plowed in a dually, but a friend (I know, I know) who had a f-350 dually and 8-6 says it's too narrow, but all he does is his own driveway, so he doesn't care. Just a point to ponder. Like I said, I haven't plowed in a dually, but an ex-cab chevy with a 7-6 FELT like a dually...

one more thing... running over your own windrow sucks!

The price seems pretty fair. my dealer offers the pro-plus for only $60 more- take a look at it.

4. Santo

Santo Banned

Philly prices hovering at $4000.00 with tax. Without the goodies.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Go bigger with the plow.9 ft straight or 9.5 V.Adding a set of Timbrens will help,otherwise the truck should carry it just fine.

6. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Thanks for the answers guys I think were going to go new because the price isn't worth going old. This is a cab chassis and the wheel base is narrower on a CC than on a regular pickup dually so the 8'6" should do fine. We will only be plowing driveways with this truck for 2 years or so then I will be buying a bigger 350 and I want to be able to move this plow to it. I dont want to go to big other wise it will be too tight trying to do driveways with. Do you think we should have the timbrens installed while the plow is being put on?
    Thanks for all the answers,
    Eric

7. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Don't you guys think it could use a western on the front of it?? :cool:

quad and truck pics 00909.jpg

8. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Nice truck 90plow, but now that we see your picture, my opinion is I would not use it for residential plowing. That box is pretty large and wide, so you have obstructed rear view. You would need to depend heavily on two side mirrors, but I do not believe that is good enough. Residential driveways are more tighter than most commercial accounts, and you would often have to back up into the street frequently and plow again. I feel that this is too risky. If it were me, I would not do it.

Perhaps you can look into buying a good used plow truck and use it for a couple years until you buy a new plow truck you want?

If you cannot go with this method and must use that Chevy service truck, then my opinion is to go with 9' blade. You will need it to clear the dual wheels.

9. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

We aren't plowing as a plowing company now. My dad will be plowing as I am away at college and he'll only be plowing our driveway my grandparents drives couple neighbors and the jobs hes working on hes not looking into getting into it like I want to when I get out of school. Hes good at backing his truck up and won't be doing many drives where it will be a major issue. we jsut got rid of my pickup that I had been plowing my accounts with (which I no longer have), the reason for not getting another truck is more insurance for a truck he won't use enough to justify. Thanks for the thoughts though because I told him the same thing about the body being too big. I know alot of responses after that photo will be about the size of the body.
    Thanks
    Eric

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

I would put the Timbrens on when they put the plow on.

A 9 ft or 9.5 V makes a huge difference in productivity and versatility,but is the extra width is hardly noticable when doing residential.

11. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

If you go with the western ultra-mount, make sure the plow dealer uses mount no 67981-2. If they dont use the -2 mount they will need to cut the plastic on the front bumper, you dont need to with the -2 mount and cant even tell there was a plow on the truck when you go and remove the mount to switch to another truck

12. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Thanks Crash Ill have to remember that cause my dad was worried about cutting the plastics and having the front end being all chopped. Thanks for all the responses guys.
    Eric

13. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

also no one has mentioned that the ass end of that truck is going to swing out while turning be carefull those arnt so good in the snow its because of the way the weight is distributed

14. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Does anyone know any rough estimates on Fisher, snowway, or boss snowplows for a new 8'-6" installed? Is one cheaper than the other I'm looking to shop around with all the decnet plows that have dealers in my area. The western is 3600 which is higher than it was last year due to the new wiring but I'm wondering prices and I dotn have time to go wandering from dealer to dealer figuring prices. Any help is appretiated.
    Thanks
    Eric

15. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Anyone........?
    Eric