1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

couple questions about v-box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by slade, Sep 25, 2005.

1. slade

slade Senior Member

I have a older(rusty) Henderson v-box. In the opening where the salt comes out there is a adjustable door to allow more or less material to flow out. The problem is that it is no longer adjustable(rusty). It is about half way open, I was thinking about cutting off the rest of the door that sticks down so that it would be fully open, my main concern is that the opening would be to big and the rock salt would trickle out on it own. But on the other hand I wouldn't think that they(Henderson) would make the door so big that when it was fully open salt would trickle out. What do you guys think? How open do you guys have yours? One other question, you guys that charge buy the ton, how do decide how much salt you have used, do you just look in the box and guess? Thanks for you input

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi
    Go to www.corrisionx.com and buy the corrisionx heavy duty. Spray it real heavy for a couple of days and after a couple of days you should be able to start to move it. I was just given a tilt bed snowmobile trailer that was rusted at the pivot point.
    I beat on it, even tryed to pry it up but she would not move. Got the old corrisionx out and sprayed it down, and let it sit for a couple of days. Had to take the trailer to get weighed and got home and the bed was tilted back a little bit. I had left the pin out since I had to use a die grinder on it and had forgot about no pin in the tilt bed. I stuck a pry bar under the bed and she tilted right back nice and easy. I love this stuff so much I spray all the moving parts on my slat spreader after every storm.

Regards Mike

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

A door that is 1/2 way open is still to far open to be spreading with. The only time we have ours fully open is to unload the left over salt back into the salt bin. 1/2 way open might be fine if you are driving fast, maybe doing roads but parking lots with all the turning I prefer to have it closed more and drive under control.

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, I think you will have problem if you were to cut it .

5. flykelley

6. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

don't cut the door you will be sorry.Even when I lay it down thick my gate is only open 3 or 4 " if it were open all the way too much material would be traveling out the gate.Spray it,heat it but don't remove it.even on roads I don't open it any more I just adjust the conveyor speed.For salt we charge by the ton + truck charge.when you fill your spreader see how much it takes and you should be able to judge by looking in the hopper on how much has been used.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2005
  7. slade

slade Senior Member

How far do your guys doors open? I think mine is about 2" open with that being about half way open. Thanks for the input.

8. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

my gate opens 12 inches for cleanout.

9. slade

slade Senior Member

GOOD NEWS. I got the pry bar after the rusted door and was able to move it all the way open(about 4"). I think with a little work I will be able to get it to where I can open close it without too much trouble. Thanks for the help guys.

10. flykelley

Slade
    Buy some corrosionx and make your life easy. I swear by this stuff.

Good Luck Mike