1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Couple questions about a driver working on municipal contract

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mikesbigtruck, Feb 11, 2016.

1. mikesbigtruck

mikesbigtruck Junior Member

Hi all,

I'm fairly new here but not to snow plowing. I've recently come into a situation that I'm unsure of. I have a driver that's been regularly working on one of my municipal contracts. This contract requires that when he gets the call to report in to the city's DPW, grab a GPS phone and punch in, then go start the route assigned to my company.

He's admitted to straying away from the route to pick up and drop off his girlfriend that he likes to have ride with him. I have no problem with him taking breaks, but I have no idea the amount of time he's taking away from the route to do this. Have any of you been in a similar situation and how did you handle it? My plan is telling him no passengers at all while he's on my time, but I wanted some opinions before I did.

He's also been claiming the time for driving to the DPW (with my truck) and back to my shop. I don't see this as an issue because as far as I'm concerned, when I call him to come in, he's now on my time until he punches out at our shop. But I've had another contractor tell me that his guys don't get paid except for the time spent on their city route. Thoughts on that?

2. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Definitely no passengers in the truck big time liability issues as well as poor image for your company should something happen or state employee find out. I would say drive time is one rate and he gets x amount of time say one hour for driving there and back. I'd just tell him the city has confronted you about the driver going off route and tell him one more time it's over. It's hard to do but you'll be in bigger trouble if an accident happens.

3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

No one in the truck but him. He starts on clock when he gets to your place. But he's ready to go when he gets there. If he leaves his route again. He's gone for good. And I do roads. That's my rules.

4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Whats the big deal with having someone in the truck?? During long hours it may be beneficial to the driver

5. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

This is wrong in so many ways it's ridiculous. Same reason that young new drivers are limited to only them in the car when they get there DL. It's an unnecessary distraction to have her in there. He's driving around on slick roads in the middle of the night. He needs to be concentrating on driving, NOT rubbing her leg, holding her hand or engaging in conversation. Also, as stated above, it's a HUGE liability for the OP if his guy gets in a wreck with her in the truck. If she got hurt, his insurance would be on the hook, and not happy about it either. They will say that she isn't an employee, she has no business being in the truck.

There is a reason the DPW has the guy coming and picking up a GPS. How long do you think it will be before they see the trend of him straying off route every time and going to the same location? They will want to know why. He is being paid for his time. It doesn't matter if it's only 10 minutes, it's not HIS 10 minutes, it's the DPW's and his employers.

Do I need to continue? Absolutely ridiculous. If he worked for me, he wouldn't even get a warning, he would be getting fired. His actions display a complete lack of judgment as well as a disrespect for his employer.

6. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

I think its fare to pay him, The truck he drives to DPW is the truck he uses on the route isn't it. If your truck for the route is at the dpw I would not pay him. I might close one eye on private with passenger not City streets, Just don't look good for your company the City guys will talk schit, unnecessary risk.

Dude must be young or have a loyal women, I can't think of any women that would take a invitation to work or plow snow.:eek::laughing:

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Hold on guys, we can form opinion with pics.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed.....there's more to this story.

9. 1olddogtwo

10. Mark Oomkes

ReToad???????

I don't even want to know how\why\what\where\when you found that video.

11. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

12. mikesbigtruck

Thanks for all the responses guys. And sorry, there won't be any photos :nono:

You all basically confirmed what I was already thinking but as I said in my original post, I wanted some outside perspective. I'm definitely going to be telling him no more passengers due to liability and straying away from the route one more time means that he's done.

13. mikesbigtruck

14. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

15. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

That is absurd........ what on earth does this have to do with plowing snow?

16. Mark Oomkes

Pat took a selfie.

17. 1olddogtwo

The driver was mingling on company time, so.... so I mingled.

To the OP. Your employees shouldn't have sexual relationships in company vehicle

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  18. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

I agree with everyone else. Absolutely no one in that truck with him unless it's another employee. His girlfriend is a huge uninsured lawsuit waiting to happen.

19. mikesbigtruck

You're absolutely right they shouldn't and I wasn't even thinking that far into it until you mentioned it.

Good thing my yearly physical was last week and not today. I'm sure my blood pressure just spiked after reading that response.

20. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

This is true, I did not look at it like that, Good God, That would be the end of that route if relations was going on in your truck. You say he has been with you awhile is he performing in a timely manner? That went over my head, Scary, No worries you got it handled now. Good call old dogThumbs Up