1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

couple question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by theguynextdoor, Sep 24, 2007.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Ok I'm new to this...I just got 3 yr old Western Plow (commercial). Is there a float position on this plow for taking it on and off, and what the hell is the float position...i find it a pain in the but to get it back on. Takes me 25 minutes because i can never get teh light bars up high enough to get teh truck-side bracket on. Any tips on getting the plow on and off would be greatly appreciated...especially by my 10 yr old brother who always gets stuck helping me when i need to move it.

Also, i have the shoes for blacktop...will the blade really rip up the blacktop and with the shoes on, it wont get right down to the cement for a nice clean scrape? Is this true ?

Thanks for the info guys for a nembie.

2. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

I have a Western Pro, Do you have the Ultra Mount, or Uni-mount. If it is only a 3 yr old plow it should be Ultra mount. Maybe you can try shortening the chains. That will bring the head gear straighter up. When you disconnect the plow do you push the shoes down to the ground before backing off? As for the shoes on the plow, unless you are plowing on dirt, you do not need them. Your plow will not tear up the asphalt. I plow one old lot with old asphalt that is in bad shape. You might get a piece here and there in that situation, but you would get them with the shoes on too. Hope this helps.

3. theguynextdoor

It is a unimount...so it maybe it is older...im not sure how hold it is. Im taking about black top driveways (residential)...those are softer than parking lots...will the blade rip those up?

Thanks for the help

4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I dont run shoes, took them off. I plow parking lots, driveways, concrete, blacktop, gravel. You'll be fine without shoes. :dizzy:

5. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Guy Next Door Where in Wny are you located?

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You get the plow in the float position by holding the controller in the down position for a second. The float position is basically just opening the valves on the pump so that the lift cylinder will collapse fully by the weight of the plow while it follows the contours of a lot or drive. When it comes to the problem with getting the plow back on the truck, when you go to remove the plow, drop the blade and put it into float, go to the lift arm and push it all the way down. This will remove the tension you have on the chain when you try and put the plow back on.

7. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

Uni-mounts a little tougher, but letting the tension off the chains would probably be a good start. As for the asphalt don't worry, the plow will not tear it up. I have even plowed unpaved lots and barely get any dirt. I plow asphalt lots with speed bumps, and even with the blad at an angel I dont tear them up. If you do any Commercial lots, watch out for the curb stops. I have tor a few of them up, and putting them back sucks even with a skid steer. Good Luck, Hope you make lots of money so you can buy a New plow next year and sell the Uni-mont Western to some one else.

8. theguynextdoor

I go to the University at Buffalo, live on campus, but my house is in williamsville, so im plowing in that area because im in school too so i dont want to be driving all over the place....Just trying to make a buck to pay for college and stuff...i already do landscaping so im expanding that and im pumped about plowing...i love stuff like that

9. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

take those shoes off and throw them in the trash...they are a waste imo

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2007