1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Couple pics of the rig in the snow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by RCsLawncare, Jan 23, 2010.

1. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

Nice 6" we got.

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

2. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

Nice when was this???

Also Gas?

3. RCsLawncare

Right around the end of December. And yes, its a 8.1 backed by the Allison. Im trying to find a tuner to remove some of the torque management stuff to help wake it up. Just don't like the lag in the acceleration..

4. z400

z400 Member

Ive got the same power plant in my crew cab dually.
    Its not enough for me, im going to have to trade it in for a diesel here shortly.

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

The 8.1 is not enough for you?? What are you towing, a train?

6. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

A few people have asked to drive my 8.1 that have the diesel and say it is very comparable. Its rare to have them and no one bieleves me that GM ever made that motor or even put it in the 2500HD's.

7. RCsLawncare

Its done everything I'v ever asked it too, so its great for me. I like it, bout to add a tuner to see if I can remove some of the torque management it has. Im not a fan of the diesels, so I ill stuck to the gassers.

8. RCsLawncare

I thought it was a 6.0 when I went to look at it, but once I opened the hood, and saw the Allison trans pan, I knew I was buying it. Great deal, but there are some electrical problems with it. I just wished it wasn't geared so low.

9. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Looking good and nice piles

10. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

What electrical problems are you having with it? DO you have 3.73's or 4.10's? I like that its geared so low when backing trailers up hills but not backing up slowing it almost needs a 2nd reverse gear.

11. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Check out Nelson Performance. They can set you up with a nice tune that will really wake that truck up!

12. RCsLawncare

Thank you! Ill get more snow pics up once we get another storm for sure!!

13. RCsLawncare

Yea, I have the 4.10s Its painfully slow in reverse. I just like the way my 1500 1/2 ton stays under 2k in normal driving.

14. RCsLawncare

Are they online and how much does a complete set up run??

15. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

Also check out Blackbear performance.

16. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

nelsonperformance.com is the website. About $300 for a mailbox tune. I've heard Blackbear is good too, but not sure what they charge.

17. wannabeplowing

wannabeplowing Senior Member

Very nice looking set up!! I've wanted to drive a truck with an 8.1 in it I hear they are workhorses

18. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

:nod: they definatly are and thirsty for oil and gas

19. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

They are comparable stock for stock, but if you add a small tuner to a Dmax the differences are unreal, power and mileage. I have driven a few 8.1L trucks, they are ok, not impressive but they do tow good, they seem to have just as much get up and go with or without a load.

If you add a tuner or have someone tune your PCM you will have a whole new respect for your truck, I have EFI Live to tune my truck and a few friends, I loaded a tune for a guy I know who has an 03 1500 with a 4.8, he loves the truck with less TQ managment and timing tables tweaked a bit, from what I understand the 8.1 has alot of room for improvement just through tuning,

Have either Nelson or Blackbear tune your truck or find someone EFI and work a deal with them, of course you'd have to buy a good tune from someone.

Good luck

20. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You are correct sir! Don't want to forget to check the oil level on these engines often. I checked the oil level when it was pretty new still and was down a quart. Pissed me off, was wondering if something was wrong but dealer said they use oil. Still seems odd.

I've had my 01' 1 Ton dump loaded full of sh!t( 4-4.5 ton ) and bobcat 863 hooked up. This was a one time deal because it wasn't safe, but that truck pulled that load no prob.