1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Couple of Tips for New Ultramount Install

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by captadamnj, Oct 20, 2010.

1. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

Thought I would share the following regarding my install of an 8' Pro Plus Ultramount on my truck over the past couple of weeks. Nothing too difficult other than working with heavy parts by yourself can be a bit of a chore. Had my 4 and 7 year olds helping out, they did a great job. Kind of neat seeing your 4 year olds smiling face laying under your truck next to you holding flashlights and handing you wrenches, bolts and nuts! Did I want to share following notes, however, hope they save someone some time.

First, had a pretty good go of it installing the driver's side stand assembly over the 3/4" cap screw through the lift frame. Problem was that there is a metal strip inside the assembly for support, and that inner hole did not entirely line up with the outer hole in the assembly. Nothing that couldn't be opened up with a grinding stone on a dremel tool. Wasted over an hour trying to get the assembly on before going that route.

2nd issue was installing the double hose clamp to the back of the lift frame for the hydraulic lines to the angling rams. The 5/16" nut would not go on the weld stud as a result of the painting/coating process which made the threads too big. Put the wire wheel on the dremel tool and cleaned off the last few threads to get the nut started, figuring once it got started I'd be ok. Should have cleaned off the entire stud either with the wheel or with a die. When the locknut tightened up on the stud, another quarter turn and POP, broke the stud off. Was going to cut it off and drill through the lift frame and through bolt on the clamp, but thankfully, it snapped in the middle. I was able to put a die on the remaining threads and I put a 5/16" coupling nut on what was left of the stud then put a cap screw through the clamp and into the coupling nut. Another wasted couple hours than if I had just cleaned off the stud first.

Finally, just a reminder, before you let the excitement of pushing the buttons take over after filling the hydraulic unit the first time, CHECK ALL YOUR FITTINGS! Got the kids outside to watch the plow go up and down the first time. Sure enough, when it starts to move, they are all giddy, laughing and jumping up and down. Movement was a little jerky, thought it was just air in the system, but was loving watching them enjoy. Then my wife comes out and from the look on her face I knew something was wrong. The kids are then yelling, "MAKE THE BLUE RAIN AGAIN DADDY!" Uh, oh. Yep, that's right, one of the fittings was loose and blowing hydraulic fluid. Add another hour and a half to the job for clean up. :drinkup:

Thanks for all the useful information on the board, looking forward to putting her to work this winter.

2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

It always amazes me how far hydro fluid will fly! Glad to hear it went alright and it was a good time with the kids!