1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

couple of ??'s

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by bobcatnj, Oct 19, 2004.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj Member
    from NJ

first, do you guys charge a flat fee per house (say $65.00) per snow fall one shot deal or do you charge dusting-2in, 3in-5in,6in-8in, 9in-1foot?do you wait till the roads are plowed by the residential houses to plow or do you plow during and after the storm?

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I don't plow anything less than 3" (but would & have if asked) except my own drive (the wife thinks there should be SOME perks to messing around with the snowplow guy). I used to have 3-6, 6-9, 9-12 with additional charge for each inch over 12. Now I am in the process of getting everyone changed over to 3-8, 8-12 with additional for over 12". A few small ones are 3-12, but these are "straight in" pushes with no backdragging, etc. I've made this change because I use the 3500 diesel as my main plow truck and I've found it pushes 12" about as easy as 3".

The best way, and what I would prefer, is to plow periodically throughout the storm. But, that's not always practical around here. For a couple of private roads, they are too twisty and hilly with steep dropoffs and trees close to the road that would be easy to misjudge in the dark. The last couple years, I've also had a problem with impassable roads due to the contractor who does the town not getting out till the snow is over. One place in particular I simply couldn't get to till 8:00 and, evene if I had, she couldn't have gotten out due to the town road. Since she is a nurse, I suggested she contact the city council, but she moved over the summer. So, like everything else, it just all depends in circumstances.

3. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

depends

I know that every answer given on this site seems to be "that depends.."

Well, part of it is how much snow you guys get there. Here in SE MI I charge for a seasonal rate. We probably get 6-10 snow events per year. My theory is: I need the money regardless of how much snow we get. So, I make sure I get paid and don't count on the weather for my paycheck. Some seasons I might have to work harder for the $ I earn, but at least I know the money is there.

Some around here charge per push, or per inch. That can work fine too. I just don't like the idea of arguing with a customer about whether or not there actually was 2" on the ground. I'd rather just have them pay, and in my contract it states that measurements will be made by me! I've seen it too many times where there's 2 inches on the ground, and when you get out there its been shoveled....homeowner is trying to only pay for the big storms he can't handle....no thanks...I'll take all or none.

As far as rates....around here I've seen from $150-250 per season. Prices vary based on location, size, and reputation of company.

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've got 2 Walgreens stores that have a 1 inch trigger and are hourly. The rest are 2 inch triggers with flat rates. I personally plow with the storm for 2 reasons. 1)because of my triggers. 2)because I love to plow snow!!! :redbounce

5. usabestsnoplowr

usabestsnoplowr Junior Member

All my work is res.
    and I do it on scale for the storms totals + salting and walks are extra.