1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Couple of Questions

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by cold_and_tired, Sep 30, 2009.

1. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

First off, I was thinking about building my own push box this season but I spoke with a Snowdogg dealer and he sells the 8' pushbox for about $200 more than the cost of building.

First off, anyone know how well the construction is of the snowdogg pushers? Do they seem to have many defects or issues?

Second, has anyone used a poly cutting edge instead of rubber on a pushbox?

Thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Seems like a lot of guys in the Buffalo area are using them.

3. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Grandview...

I spoke to smoorman...I though he called it "snow scoop"
    Anyway, I'm interested as well for the money; it will serve for four apartment complexes 1.5 acres each, nice and square in the same block...what have you heard about them..thanks in advance.
    I

4. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

"ScoopDogg" - that's the brand.
    http://www.scoopdoggpushers.com/

I imagine you got quoted a "compact" 8' - uses a Bobtach/Quicktach SS mount.
    There's not much that can go wrong with them. Our end plates on the bigger ones are 3/8", and that's about the only place you can bend them (which is why we went with 3/8" instead of 1/4" like some of our competitors).

I haven't heard anything specifically about U-edges. Bear in mind that a standard pusher has NO TRIP mechanism - so the edge has to absorb any impacts.

Pushers are great if you've got the equipment.

Scott

5. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Thanks Scott,

Thanks again for the previous question answered I PM'd.
    So my thoughts are: by using a rubber edge, it takes less of an impact?
    e.g. manhole cover? :D
    I may bid on a parking garage, with membrane floor...thought about purchasing the 8' scoop dogg for simplicity "use a snow bucket to clear between long term parkers":angry: Then utilize the pusher for the remainder including open area for pay parkers.
    Obviously, depending the type of snowfall...and I'm not holding anyone to it; What length/distance could I expect using (s-185 or cat 256) before it becomes tougher to push. 200 feet, or 300 yards ?
    Are the shoes poly or rubber as well?
    Thanks for all the assistance.:drinkup:

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Picture from this past Feb. Not mine.

snowdogg.jpg

7. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

We build our own push plows, some solid others with a trip. Any problem areas that would wreck the plow are cleared with a smaller plow or we get the box plow to clear over it by going in reverse. We only had one incident in which the operator wrecked a solid plow when she hit a ramp for wheelchair access near a sidewalk (she was informed of the hazard). It stopped the 18000 lb tractor (Case 1070) dead in its tracks and the operator decided she would bake goodies for Christmas money rather than driving tractor

8. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Ouch...

Plowtime - my only point was that those urethane edges can be quite stiff compared to rubber, so if you run into a manhole cover, you might feel it a little more (or chunk your expensive edge). Of course, if you hit a ramp, no trip will save you...

9. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Grandview, nice pic, but a tad to large for this special little project; but could receive nice$$$$ if I make the right choice. What could I expect....realistic...distance wise...a push with 8' scoopdogg pusher- wet snow.

Thanks Scott, thats very true... maybee a 7 point harness is in order!

10. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Once the box is full, it's full. There shouldn't be any problem driving as far as you need to do to momentum. If the box is too big for wet, heavy snows, you merely take smaller "bites".

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I too was going to start a thread inquiring about the Scoop Dogg's. Look/sounds to be decent so far. I may get one this year. My question is can my machine handle a 10' box, or should I stick with an 8'er. I have a Bobcat 843 (56hp/no turbo).

I ask b/c I plan to upgrade in a year or 2. I hate to buy a new 8' pusher than wind up wanting a bigger one once I get a bigger machine.

12. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with a 10 foot box. If its too much, you can take smaller swipes with it. You will have to upgrade to a pretty big machine in order to handle the 10 foot box in heavy snow.

Take my opinions with a grain of salt though. This will be my first year with a box as well. All of my knowledge comes from reading about them on this site and what the manufacturer recommendations are.

13. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

2 benefits I could see to going to an 8'
    - If you have any lots that aren't real flat, the 8' will clean up better.
    - If your planning on trailer the set-up around, the 10' can become a real PITA.

PS, although the 843 may be a little under-powered compared to newer skids, it should still be plenty heavy. I know I say it all the time hear, but make sure your using the best tires you can afford to put on the skid. Or atleast have a set of tire chains ready the worst conditions.

14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Great, thanks guys. You raised some good points, some I was already contemplating on.

15. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Thanks for all the input,
    I believe this week I will make some phone calls and visits, I'm leaning toward scoopdogg,I have taken the with utilizing the 8"foot for uneven lots...good point. However, I'm bidding on a parking garage where the top is membrane and approx 2 acres of open lot; I think the 8"foot is justified.
    The skid is S-185 or Cat 256. thank again.