1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Couple of questions on my 99 F250 SD

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mtk469, Nov 7, 2009.

1. mtk469

mtk469 Member

I have a early 99 F250 SD 7.3 PSD it is a standard cab with an 8' bed that I am considering putting a plow on to have as a fill in/ back up truck. Anyways, according to the door sticker it has a 4400lb Front GVWR. I feel I need to beef up the front to make sure it is good to go and wanted to see what you all would suggest. From some of the research I have done I was considering a pair X code springs?? Where should I look for these? I really can't justify spending a ton of $$ so I thought I would see what others would suggest and where you might suggest I look for parts? Or other upgrades that I need to look into other than springs. The truck has 125,000 miles on it and I don't think it has had much in the way of front end replacement parts.

Thanks for any input you all might have.
    Matt

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would first make sure all the front end parts are up to snuff. All the ball joints, tie rods, shocks etc. You should be able to get Tibrens for it that replace the factory bump stops.
    ( use the Central Parts Warehouse link above for them )
    They carry the weight of the plow. Since it's a backup / fill in it will not be constantly plowing it may not really need X springs put on it. All the plow manufacturers web sites have plow match apps that you can use.

3. mtk469

mtk469 Member

Thanks MickiRig for the input. Anybody else?

4. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Check out:http://www.powerstrokeshop.com

I was quoted a little over $400 for x code springs including u-bolts and nuts plus another $60 for shipping.

I wouldnt worry too much about the GAWR too much. Just make sure to ballast it correctly.

5. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I have a 99 f250 gasser and don't have plow prep or x springs and I have never had any issues with plowing at all I put in a leveling kit and a 2" add a leaf and no sag at all with an 8' Western pro plus.

6. mtk469

mtk469 Member

thanks for the info. I thought about looking into a leveling kit to see what I could do with that.
    Matt

7. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

I've got a Blizzard 810 on my 2002 crew cab. I put the x-code springs on mine. I also put timbrens on but took them off. The truck road terrible with the timbrens. If I pick up a car to use as a daily drive I will put them on for plow season but they will come off in the spring. I got my x-code springs at powerstrokeshop.com which is a ford dealer in Indiana.They were around 160.00 each

8. 1fast432

1fast432 Member

Have a 2000 f250 sd with the same fgvwr of 4400. Went to the local spring shop and had them put in another front leaf. Sits up 2 1/4 '' which is about even and rides the same. Now I can hang 650lbs of plow off the front. cost me $325.00.Originally went to the Ford dealer and tech told me the front springs weren't numbered and he didn't know how to get the x springs and sent me to the spring shop.GOOD LUCK!!!!