1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Couple of maintenance Q's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MLG, Nov 19, 2000.

1. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

Hi guys, it's me again. I'm plan to drain my pump & rams in a couple days. I have an older cable operated Western plow (electric) w/turn rams. Couple of maintanence questions:

1) When you guys say you "flush" the system.. are you saying that you just drain out the old fluid and replace w/new or are you using something to flush with (like kerosene or other) to clean out contaminants.

2) Is there an easy way to get all the fluid out of the rams? I was going to remove them and take a hose off and set vertical to let drain out. Is there a better way?

3) My plow sits outside all summer but grease up the turn rams good. How big of a problem is it with water seeping into the system through the couplers?

Thanks

MLG

2. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i think others have mentioned kerosene to flush with but i us ethe actual plow fluid ,, i don't really use much because i end up changing them maybe twice a season

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Using "plow fluid" will not loosen the black goo inside the pump reservior or rams. Kerosene is a solvent, hydraulic fluid is oil. Solvent dissolves oil. Solvent dissolves deposits. Next time, flush it with the fluid until you think it's "clean", then flush it with kerosene, and see what comes out. I think you'll be using the kerosene from then on.

Even changing the fluid twice a season, the deposits still form. Kerosene is the only thing that will disolve them, and not harm O rings and seals.

~Chuck

4. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

So what's the best proceedure for flushing out the system, put kerosene in the pump and jiggle it around and drain ...or do you hook up the rams, operate the pump, then drain everything? I've never done it before. Is it a problem with deposits coming loose inside the pump (from the kerosene)and screwing up the valves and O rings? Thanks for your help.

MLG

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

You don't operate the pump with the kerosene in it.

Drain the fluid from the reservoir. Fill it with kerosene. Let it sit in there for about 15 minutes. Then drain the kerosene out. I then put the kerosene I drained out, into a clean empty fluid bottle, with the "cone" top on it. I then leave the drain plug out, put the cone tip in the fill hole, and squeeze the bottle, to flush the kerosene through the reservoir. I may do this 3 times, depending on how much comes out. Then fill the bottle with clean kerosene, and flush it again. Then, I use compressed air (low pressure and volume) to blow out any goo the kerosene loosened that didn't come out. Canned air like for your computer will work if it is all you have.

For the rams, follow the procedure on my web site. The same way I describe drawing clean fluid in, draw kerosene in instead. Then compress the cyliner, and push out the kerosene. Then draw the kerosene back into the cyliner. Do it 2 or 3 times for each cylinder. Then fill one with new fluid like I describe on my web page.

You also want to clean any pump strainers or filters with kerosene. Not sure where they are on Western pumps.

You should be all set.

Remember <B>DO NOT</B> circulate kerosene through the system.

~Chuck