1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Country Lane - Pricing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by piperpm, Nov 7, 2009.

1. piperpm

piperpm Member

Hey guys...quickly... want to make sure I'm not out to lunch here: I just quoted a 200' country laneway that leads back around the house to a 3 car garage/shop at $50.00 per plow which includes a return trip to clear out the end after the town plow comes by. Got the nose turned at me?? Considering my local res driveways are $20-$25 a shot I thought I was being decent with a 200' lane? Thoughts?

2. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

Are you talking single wide or double wide path? Single wide still sounds like a great deal, double wide and your way to cheap. Let them do it themselves.

Steve

3. piperpm

piperpm Member

It starts off single-wide then opens up to the right and eventually becomes as wide as the 3 car garage set behind the house...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  4. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

in cases like those if you need the account or if it is going to make you more money than just plowing, I ask the customer what they think a fair price is when I get that same look. Doing so gives me info on whether the customer is looking for something for nothing or if I am out of line. It also starts building market knowledge on what others in the area are willing to pay.

Depending on how much other income is generated I will either take a pass or acept their counter offer. Just dont sell yourself so short on the plowing that you lose money on both jobs.

JMHO

Steve

5. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

It not just the time to do the job is it?

The question is what is is costing you to do it? Not the actual work, but everything else. Obviously the truck, the insurance, fuel, additional overhead, and profit margin needs to be considered. Whether its a driveway or a commercial property the time it takes to do the job is only the beginning of what to charge. What about the liability we assume, the 24/7 commitment we make, the loss of sleep when it doesn't snow and so on. So in my opinion, $50.00 is too cheap. I am not telling you what to charge, but think of all the things that we do as contractors for our customers other than the time it takes to complete the job. NO THAT'S THE VALUE OF THE SERVICE WE OFFER. PRICE THE JOB ACCORDINGLY.