1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

counterbalance

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by tinkenboutit, Oct 22, 2009.

1. tinkenboutit

tinkenboutit Junior Member
    from zone 5

I just put a 50" Moose blade on my 2005 Polaris 500 ATP. I notice the front of the quad drops 2 to 3 inches when the blade is up. Is there any need to counterbalance the blade?

2. rm25x

rm25x Member

need? no not really. But it does help with traction. Just add about 100-150lbs to the rear rack.

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

You can add weight on the back rack for more traction. But you realy don't need to IMO.

4. MRadke

MRadke Member
    from WI

You could also buy a pair of rubber spring wedges to stiffen the front suspension. They look like a donut and twist in between the coils.

5. shtuk

shtuk Member

I put rubber spacers (kimpex makes nice ones) in all four of my springs. it makes a big difference for ride and to compensate for the weight of the blade.

6. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

anyone have a link to a website for these spacers? ive been just running bags of salt in the back for weight.

7. Badgerland WI

Badgerland WI Senior Member

If the Polaris has a coil-over set-up on the front suspension, get a measurement of the front coils springs and you can get replacement, heavier duty coils. From what I've heard, Polaris machines have the softest coils up front. I can help you find the right replacements once you know how tall and ID of the factory coil you have.

The higher spring rate will keep it from nose-diving with the additional weight out front. This is what we do when setting-up plow utility trucks.

8. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

Highlifter.com also sells stiffer springs that work great for a plow rig.