1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Couldn't pass this up...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ChevKid03, Oct 21, 2008.

1. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Well, first, let me apologize for not putting pics up right away (they'll be up tomorrow). I currently own a 7.5' Curtis Sno Pro and was looking to go to an 8' because I can work the 8' in my area commercially. I found a Curtis Sno Pro 8' the other day and think I got a pretty descent deal. I paid $400 for the entire "off truck" setup. It is the older style one plug setup hitch and run that looks to be in EXCELLENT shape. Unfortunately I wasn't able to test it since I don't have the older single plug setup. I am going to be looking at possibly just switching moldboards or putting a new style plow side harness on. I need some suggestions as I would like to end up with the 8' and sell the 7.5'.... What do you think I should do?? Again, I'll post pics tomorrow. For a plow that was built in 2001 and originial paint, this thing has barely ANY rust on it at all....

2. 68gts

68gts Junior Member

was that the one on ebay? good score if i were closer i would of grabbed it.

3. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

didn't see it on Ebay, found it local. Anyway, I'm trying to get the pics to the right size to be able to post....

4. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Here are a few of the plow I just got yesterday that I need to do something with. This plow is great shape...

IMG_0816.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG

5. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

And here are a few of the plow that i have had... Not sure what to do. This one is a newer model...

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0821.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Awfully nice score for $400.... sure it aint stolen for that price???

7. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

run the 8' and save the 7.5 for if you ever get another truck..

8. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

No, I don't think so... I bought it at an auto auction. It was damn near sunken into the pavement so I know it had been there for a while.

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Save the other plow. Never know when the 8'er could break something.

10. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

well, one of them has to go.... The issue is, the truck I have is wired up for the two plug system. The 8' that i just got has the single plug system. I don't want to spend the $170 for the double plug plow side harness, So regardless, I can't use both of them. Not sure what to do with either of them. Maybe I should sell them both along with my truck frame, harness and controller and buy a fisher... :salute:

11. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

You puttin that on the minivan or the toreass?

12. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i vote for this option.
    I think fishers are better suited to the type of snow we get up here (trip edge) and the pitch of the mold board.

13. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

That is what I would do too. :drinkup:

14. derekbroerse

What stops you from trading wiring harnesses on the two plows? Is the additional wire just a ground by chance?

15. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

The single plug setup has the power and plow controls in the same plug. The double plug seperates them.

16. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Neither.... The minivan isn't a good candidate for a plow since I threw dual turbo's on it and it runs 11's in the quarter mile, and the taurus is just a car... :nod:

17. ram1500

ram1500 Member
    from ma

vote for this option.
    I think fishers are better suited to the type of snow we get up here (trip edge) and the pitch of the mold board.

This is a common statement here in Fisher country. But the reality is many of the plows with a trip edge or full tilt moldboard built in the past few years will handle the snow in New England. Many of the new plows will backdrag and scrape better than a Fisher as well stand up to the elements. If you plow in the midwest many contractors have never seen a Fisher snowplow. Fisher is a well built plow and has been around a long time but there are other well built plow choices out there.

18. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

I'm confused, you only spent $400 on the 8' unit but won't spend $170 so you can hook up to it? Looks like you've made up your mind then, sell the 8 footer for profit and keep what you have. Or like you said, sell that too and get something else. Or spend the 170, bringing you total expense to a whopping $570 for a complete 8' setup and as long as you have work to justify it, it'll be payed off in the first few inches you push.

19. derekbroerse

So again... what is stopping you from swapping the harnesses from one plow to the other?

Then you can sell the smaller plow with the older style harness...?

20. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

ill buy the 8 foot curtis for 700 and pick it up this wekend....