1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Couldn't make it home 1 day this week

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by nsmilligan, Feb 23, 2013.

1. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

DOT plow stuck in a drift. Grader plowed from the other direction, but couldn't pull it out.
    Plowed a hole turned around.
    Been quite a winter!

Bill

2013-02-18 09.54.17.jpg

2013-02-18 09.45.33.jpg

2013-02-18 09.53.41.jpg

2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

So what did you do with your free time away from home ?

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Beer and strippers!

4. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Grandview, guess you don't plow a lot of snow! No beer, just fix what's broken, worry about what going to break. try to get 3-4 hours down toime, before the next 18 hour shift.
    Oh no strippers here within 1000 km

Bill

5. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

guess I don't plow much snow either cause I would never work any more than 12 hours straight without 6-8 hours a sleep.

that's the city's rotation where I'm from. work 12 hours then someone else takes over. so why should a private guy like me work any harder or longer than anyone else???

6. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

We had a 30 inch storm and I had to plow for 80 hours with only 6 hours sleep. No other way to get it all done. In a 3-4 incher I am done it 12-14 hours. :redbounce

7. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

I'm just not that way and I don't take on business that requires me to operate that way.

2 inches or 2 feet. I will go out and plow for no more than 12 hours straight before coming home and grabbing at least 6 hours of z's before going back out.

8. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Not to turn this thread 180 from the topic but since it's mentioned.....most muni and DOT's get around the hour restrictions because they are "providing an emergency service". Do I agree with running 18 hour shifts no, do we do it. Yes we may. There are things you can do to avoid multiple 18 hour shifts but it happens.
    Same on the private side, is running 24+ hours safe, no way. Is it done, yes.
    Like I say in our insurance meetings, even for us it's "legal" to run long hours. But what happens when a driver is driving a overloaded truck and in the 18th hour something bad happens......

9. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Thank you for operating safely. I think people can deal with a little snow easier than they can deal with a plow-equipped truck driven by a sleeping/hallucinating operator.

10. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

you mention it from the "legal" side.

I'm not even thinking one second about the legal side when deciding to work no more than 12 hours straight then rest 6-8 hours. I don't even know what the law says about how many hours can be worked.

I only work a max of 12 hours straight because its unhealthy and unsafe to go longer with lack of sleep. to be tired or dazed by lack of sleep and be behind the wheel of any vehicle is unsafe let alone a truck with an 8' plow attached to the front. it's also unhealthy on your body.

as I think holycow said. people can deal with a little bit of snow vs someone tired and dazed behind the wheel. there isn't anywhere someone has to be or any amount of money that's work 30+ hours behind a plow truck. if there is, those people can hire someone else to remove there snow.

11. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

he plows alot of coffee.

12. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Back to those photos - those are pretty damn INTENSE! (just checked it did say Storm Photos before I hit submit...) Cool shots...

13. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Life on the east coast. Look on the bright side... At least you get fresh lobster lol

14. maxwellp

10 Incher about a month ago. Thumbs Up:laughing:

20121221_082012.jpg

20121221_102359.jpg

15. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Max - did you end up getting "picked up" to plow/pull/rescue those 2 vehicles out in you pic there? Assuming they were stuck?

16. maxwellp

They were stuck. Not to sound to mean but if I helped every person that ventured out when they should stay home, I would never get anything done. I only stop if someone looks like they are or may get hurt. This will set the sparks flying. :redbounce :eek:

In short people need to stay home unless you know you can get around not think you can get around. I have not gone places because the risk is to high. I come back later with more equipment.

17. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Thumbs Up Well said.

18. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Yes - that's the truth...I didn't know if they flagged you down and hired ya - here in NY, these people will throw some nice cash your way, and depending on your timeline, it does literally pay (well) to stop...again all situationally dependent, but you are correct in your statements.

Hell - look at my LONG ISLAND Photo Thread I started last night...a gent posted a pic of a road there that looks like a freaking parking lot! So ya - agree!

19. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

I'm with you on that one.

to many people are too stupid when it comes to snow and ice. or any weather hazard really.

so lets wait until there is 2 feet of snow down and then we'll go to the movies or out to eat. maybe we'll go to the store to stock up on groceries once it starts snowing so there won't be so many people there. well I can't go to work cause there's 2 feet of snow on the ground. I think I'll go to the mall and buy that pink shirt I've been wanting.

20. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Old Sauk Rd...Sauked right in.....Thumbs Up