1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Couldnt beleive this guy!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pjslawncare, Feb 20, 2003.

1. pjslawncare

pjslawncare Member

When I got home from my regular rout, I check my messeges. This lady called from a Subway not to far from my home wanting it plowed. I plowed it and gave her a invoice. She then told me that her boss (Owner) lives in his six unit appartment building around the corner and wanted me to go there and plow it also. I went there and started to plow it when the guy came out and started to be a pain in the a$$ pointing at every little bit and wanting me to BREAK the ice by dropping plow down on it . I told him that Ive been doing this a while and the price goes up the more he continues being over picky. The lot was about 60" by 40' and when I was done he walked to my window and sais(will $10.00 get it). After charging him $40.00 (still too low) he said I chage too much. I told him he should try shopping around. I wont be back.:waving:

2. pjslawncare

pjslawncare Member

Lot was 60' x 40'

3. push4$$

push4$$ Junior Member

Some people amaze me:rolleyes: ,just have to laugh and collect your $.:D

4. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

thats where my 75 dollar minimum comes in !!

5. myo

myo Senior Member

People like that make this fun, Right? :realmad:

6. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

Ya Fun! Right, there are three people, the type that pay right away and give extra cause they understand, the type that give you exactly what you said with no complaint and the type that ***** about the price and pay it anyway.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Lesson learned, right? Set the price in advance. I did that once, too. Just once. Plowed almost a mile of private road of 14" snow and when it's time to settle up, the guy writes me a check for $40 and says "that's what I pay".

8. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Subway special on sanwiches.

From what I can tell, the guy is asking for you and say, 10 of your guys to stop by and order 10 large subs. Flip him a $10 and say a buck a head should do it! If that is not acceptable, say, heah, keep the subs, the other sub shop down the street only charged you that much, once... back in '63.

Ought to be worth it, just for the look on his face.
    :mad:

9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

That sounds like a good idea ebaron.I don't think that he would like it very much.

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Unplow him:D :D :D . Definetely set the price in advance. I learned to, I tell any new calls right over the phone all non customer call-ins start at 50 bucks for anything.I ask for the lot size,even an estimate,and how much snow, i can usually guess within 20% of the actual price.This saves a lot of aggravation for me.They usually tell me its to much,I tell them to have a good day,thank you for consdiring me and thats it.This simple step save a lot of unnecessary driving to places wasting time/fuel.

11. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Whenever we get stopped for plowing a non customer I always get the cash I want before I plow. I they don't like the price I drive away and they can call the next guy.

12. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Hate those. I had one lady that was like this. She would even be late from time to time, but always wanted to pay less. Last storm, I plowed and she wanted to only pay half because there was less snow is some areas. This was true, but only because it was sitting in the foot and half inch drifts in front of her garage and down the drive. I told her from that point on it would only be Payment in advance and if not she could shop around because I was done otherwise..:realmad: Now the good part, With gas prices going up and the "increase with gas price" clause in my contract, I told her the price for the next push $10 more (sorry). She looked at me and said not to worry about it, the weatherman said we were not going to get anymore snow this year and she wanted to break the contract(she did and payed the fee). Here is the weather for tomorrow in Mid Michigan and its supposed to be heaver where she lives, just SE of the line:

New data has shifted the heavy snow band into Lansing, bringing 6" or more of snowfall starting Saturday afternoon along with gusty northeast winds. It even has the possibility of icing at the onset before the changeover to snow. (others are saying up-to 8") payup

And when she calls,(she will),,,,, New contract price just went up... I know most of you are wondering why I would keep it, well, the price is right, its quick, and its in the middle of my route, but I could loose it and not care.
    Thanks pjs for letting me vent on your thread... I can relate...

***LET IT SNOW***

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

Like said above,set your price in advance,and get the money up front.No cash,no plow.

What about plowing for free subs.Bring over all the guys and rack up a bill.Take a few home for dinner.

We get lucky sometimes at the gas stations.They will flag us down and ask us to plow.They always say the owner will pay us later.I tell em I won't do it unless I get cash or fuel.They usually say fuel,so we do it,and then proceed to fill the tanks.Last storm we got 30 gallons of gas and almost 60 gallons of diesel before the guy freaked out and shut off the pumps :eek:

Not bad for 10 mins of work.

14. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i don't do anything without a signed contract.i hate getting calls while its snowing.they wait till the last minute to find someone.i need to see what im plowing first.mark the lot or drive out.give a bid with a contract.