1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Could use your help on Small Commercial Lot

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by den327, Oct 29, 2009.

1. den327

den327 Member
    from nj

[ I have been plowing a this customer's lot the past 2 years. This year he lost a tenant due to the excellent economy and asked me to lower my price. Just wondering what an average price for this lot would be from you northeast guys for 1-3",4-6",6-9" Also salt... There are two entrances to this property (Front and Side) I am using a 7.5 Fisher Blade..Thanks in advance

lot.jpg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  2. den327

den327 Member
    from nj

Here is a pic outlining the lot:

lot.jpg

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I can't help you on a price for your location, but I do have a suggestion for you. Go to the owner and tell him your sorry he lost rent on a space, but the lot didn't get any smaller. Unless he is willing to give up some of the paved lot, you can't help him out any. Or strike a deal with him like a 3 year contract with a lower price this year, but a high enough price for the next 2 years to make up the difference, so you break even with a price increase to show higher profits.

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

lot shouldn't take you more than 30 to 45 minutes to do.
    Figure out your price from there.

Offer the guy a TEMPORARY deal.
    You'll give him something off to help him out for a few months but after that and if he gets a tenant in there, it goes back up to the regular price.

That's fair and keeps the job.
    But only if you have a little room to move.

But while I think it's crap and I'd probably tell him no, I do think upon reflection he's telling you he's going to put it out for bid.

I also have found that every time I give someone a break on price, they take the break and then I don't get any repeat business. I don't do that much anymore. (summer or winter)

Maybe change the trigger? That would save him some money.

5. den327

den327 Member
    from nj

It took me about 45 minutes to do this lot. I was getting
    1-3"--$100
    4-6"--$125
    7-9"--$150
    and $85. to salt. Usually use 300lbs of salt. I thought that was fair.

6. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

$75-90/plow
    $75 salt

But I wouldn't take it anyway because it doesn't look like theres any place to put the snow

7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Stick to your guns... you are more then fair with your pricing.... tell him you were charging such low rates these past few years and "you were going to raise them this year but for him I won't"... I can't believe you only charge $25 more from 4-6 then only another $25 from 7-9... I think your giving him a VERY good deal and If you think you are then call his bluff and ask to to accept a few more bids... I wouldn't bid any lower then you and if you've givin good service then it should be your again... but it would be a gamble with this economy....

Good luck

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

ha, I was right on my times
    and you're (I notice now) in NJ where prices are really expensive.

the plowing prices seem very fair even for here which is usually lower than NJ

I agree with the other guy, don't force him to bid it (some idiot might do it for $45) but work with him somehow.