1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Could use some help with the right things to use.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by uniquechev, Nov 28, 2009.

1. uniquechev

uniquechev Member

So this yr i did some hunting for some condo's to plow and i picked up two out of three. Pretty pumped about it but i have one problem ! They tenents there have dogs and all the calcium and ice melt bags i have been reading say to keep away from children and animals . ... what do do you guys use if the place has animals so they dont die lol cause thats the last thing that i want to happen !!! Could use some advice with this . Thanks guys have a great season !!!

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Do a search on Goggle. I used to use this stuff call Enviornmelt, it was concrete safe, turf safe and safe for pets. It got to be pretty pricey but what hasn't,lol

3. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Most of our condos are salt by request only, but if yours call for salt, consider giving them an no salt list to sign up on. It will be a PITA to track, but all these products cause some irrritation no matter what they claim.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

We use a sand/salt mix and never had a problem with it and animals

5. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

The magnesium chloride claims to be environmentally friendly to pets, children, and concrete. Its what we use.

6. Tony717

Tony717 Junior Member

Take a look at Midwest Ind's stuff. It's environmentally friendly, so it's likely it's safe otherwise, but do some research. The one I am talking about is sodium acetate. Good looking sir.

http://www.midwestind.com/antiicefreezing.htm

7. uniquechev

uniquechev Member

yaaa i was looking at some products today and eventhough it said "enviro. safe" it still wasnt safe for children to be near or animals. i'll have to do some more research on these things that you all brought up