1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Could use opinion!!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lawn&Snow, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Lawn&Snow

Lawn&Snow Member

Im subbing this year and using a company truck i was thinking next year going out on my own.
    I have a chance to get a 03 f250 crew cab in the spring for a cheep price. then i was thinking what money i have left and make over the summer i would like to get a western plow ether a 8'6 pro plus or a wideout!

if i do residential and a few small lots could i make enough to pay for a brand new plow in 1 season! and im only 18 so im not made of money so i don't want to take a huge loss but i really want this to happen. any in site would be greatly appreciated!
  2. Xforce 1

Xforce 1 Senior Member

You'll find plenty of trucks already equipped for half of what just the F250 will cost. Don't jump in over your head right off the bat. I started out 16 years ago with an atv and 5' plow. As of today, I run 13 plow units (trucks, tractors and skid steers) and I have yet to buy new anything until my Duramax which I use daily for my business. I have 6 ultra mount westerns that I've picked up the last couple of years and replaced my meyers and uni-mounts with cheap. You don't have to be shiny to make good money. Be dependable and keep your maintanance up and do a good job (go the extra mile) and you'll go far. ;)
  3. Lawn&Snow

Lawn&Snow Member

I will be getting the truck regardless if i go out on my own or not i have a wakeboard boat so i need a truck anyway and im getting the best deal for that year and millage i could get sense i know the owner of it real well
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Im subbing this year and using a company truck.

How can you be subbing for someone and using a company truck? Does'nt that make you an employee?
  5. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

Good call...:salute:
  6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

counting your chickens before they hatch is a bad idea. Your starting right by working for someone else to get your experience, but when you do start and you get your commercials (good luck on that by the way, not so easy) you will have to have GL biz insurance, the ability to salt, contracts to cya....blah blah blah. When you start out do a really good job with resi's, then you can use your proven reliability to help secure some commercials.
  7. Lawn&Snow

Lawn&Snow Member

no im not and the payroll its a under the table cash deal
  8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Hope the IRS isn't watching and reading
  9. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

if hes makin less than $400 a year hes fine...(not likely but possible) in his defense...
  10. Burkartsplow

Well then what are you? You are not using your own truck or have your own insurance so under the definition of a sub you are NOT a sub. You are using another companies truck and getting paid by them then you are an EMPLOYEE by definition. So what happens if you get in an accident using another companies truck, that you are working for under the table and the insurance company wants to know why you are not added to the companies insurance policy. What answer are they going to have when the insurance company wont cover the accident and damage. If it is under $600 that you make out of this cash deal, which is not enough to buy an a frame for meyer plow, how are you going to buy a nice setup come spring. You are 18 years old and you dont know what you are talking about. Unless you are not telling us everything. Please fill me in or prove me wrong so I better understand where you are coming from on this thread.
  11. Lawn&Snow

Lawn&Snow Member

Thats how they paid me last year shoveling and said it was the same this year and sorry for calling it a sub thats what they called me

to help you better understand scene you seem to like to criticize every thing people say on hear and pick out thing that has nothing to do with the question! i was asking can i make enough on my own to make the plow pay for its self in a season

did that help u
  12. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

lol, Hey beard can I get a bid around 2:30am please. Im sorry but if someone called me at 2am for a bid I would be a little mad.
  13. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

How in the world can we answer that question for you? I answered your question 2 dif ways hope that helps.
  14. Lawn&Snow

Lawn&Snow Member

now i know you have more brains then that and know what i mean by that question
  15. Burkartsplow

Well your employer does not know what they are talking about calling you a sub, I apologize if I am too critical ( I am taking it easy on you compared to other guys on here:gunsfiring:), I just wanted to better understand your situation, and by doing so I could give you an answer to your question. Yes it is possible to make enough money on your own in a season to pay for your equipment. But if your are using someones elses truck then you are not on your own. Now to do this on your own you need to get a solid route of quality clients. To do that you need references and it usually takes a couple of seasons before you have what larger clients are looking for and a proven track record. But with that comes having to pay a premium for the proper insurance (which is not cheap especially for an 18 year old with a plow truck, equipment, paying for regular maintenance and having enough working capital incase something breaks. But if this is what you want to do then work those extra hours to achieve this goal. That is how we all started. Good Luck..
  16. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

You are giving me way to much credit.