1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

could use opinion!!!!!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Lawn&Snow, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Lawn&Snow

Lawn&Snow Member

Im subbing this year and using a company truck i was thinking next year going out on my own.
    I have a chance to get a 03 f250 crew cab in the spring for a cheep price. then i was thinking what money i have left and make over the summer i would like to get a western plow ether a 8'6 pro plus or a wideout!

if i do residential and a few small lots could i make enough to pay for a brand new plow in 1 season! and im only 18 so im not made of money so i don't want to take a huge loss but i really want this to happen. any in site would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You can make enough money if you don't have a breakdowns. But you need to cover your insurance and operating costs first.
    I wouldn't plan on it but HOPE that you do
  3. Lawn&Snow

Lawn&Snow Member

So would i be better off getting a used plow then?
  4. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

No buy new this way you know what it has hit, broke. to me used plows are like underwear. after you get the sh*! out you still don't know where they have been .
  5. Deco

Deco Senior Member

imo , at 18 i'd stay in someone elses truck until you have mastered the art of snow removal . it's alot cheaper

you'll know this when you can do a curbside crawl sweep staying atleast 2" away without sticking your neck out the window

or driving down a double parked street with large marge hanging on the front without taking sideview mirrors off down one side.
    mirrors are your best friends , use them . who knows , you may be good by now .

you asked for an opinion ;) good luck and keep the shinyside up.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  6. Lawn&Snow

Lawn&Snow Member

that's what i was thinking to start with
  7. Lawn&Snow

Lawn&Snow Member

i have been driving equipment almost all my life so im not like most 18 year olds i have a lot of hours and skills with that kind of thing already. and this is something i have wanted to do for the last 2 years
  8. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

if you can pay for a truck and a plow before winter comes then i would say go for it but dont get in over your head and what about walks you would need a bower or something also
  9. Lawn&Snow

Lawn&Snow Member

im going to get a truck regardless if i plow on my own or not so that's not a big deal. and i have a john deere that i was going to get a blade for to use for walks.but just starting out i don't think i would have many accounts especially big ones so that should not be a problem.
  10. Deco

Deco Senior Member

there you go dude , then pull the trigger and get er done.
  11. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Have you gotten a quote on insurance?
  12. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

That'll put some sh_t in his drawers.
  13. Lawn&Snow

Lawn&Snow Member

Yes and it was actually less then i thought it would be
  14. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Plenty of good used plows out there.
    You should be able to fix a new or used plow when and if it breaks down anyway.
    Most dealer aren't open at 2am anyway.
  15. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Why is this same thread in two different sections? Same Exact one.
  16. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

i would say go for it, in Minn, there is alot of snow, and as far as the plow, if you can pay for a new one, that is what i would get, when you buy a used one, you have no idea how many man hole covers it has hit, if there is any small cracks in the welds, and why is it for sale? the new one will have a warranity, so if something goes wrong, you won't be paying for the repairs unless it is from abuse, either way, good luck, most everyone in this biz has been there when they started, one note of caution, if the truck is a crew cab long box, it will be hard to plow in tight spaces, good for big lots, not good for circular drives
  17. Lawn&Snow

Lawn&Snow Member

it is a crew cab short box
  18. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

That's what I'm wondering too. Usually, that never goes very well.
  19. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

maybe you can plow for the same guy you are this year, next season with your own equipment to pay for it then go out on your own the following season
  20. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Nothing to see here, move along now.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009