1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

could this need a new pump?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Boomdog, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Boomdog

Boomdog Junior Member

First things first.. It is a MM1 Insta-act 3 plug light duty fisher plow. All season it has been finicky working most of the time but occasionally not wanting to work or being hesitant. Now it wont work at all. Whichever way i move the controller the motor makes the sound of wanting to work, but with no movement (it will go up about 3-4 inches, nothing left or right.) I thought it must have been low on fluid, but I opened fill plug and it looks to be full. I did notice that the breather valve(i think) on the other side of the pump was a litle loose from being bumped by the damn jack when I left it down and drove down the driveway. I tightened that and hooked the plow back up but its still doing the same thing.... Any ideas????? The breather valve seems to be leaking just a little bit. I checked, cleaned, and regreased all connections. A friend talked to his plow fixing guy and he said it sounds like it needs a new pump....

2. LON

LON Senior Member

Drop the can and look for slushing on the suction filter

3. LON

LON Senior Member

did you have pump pressure checked?

4. Boomdog

Boomdog Junior Member

ok i think its the inlet fitting and the suction filter were floating in the resevoir when I removed it. Im guessing this is the cause of my problem unless it fell in there when I was removing resevoir, but I dont think so. BAD NEWS IS... I snapped one of the brass bolts/screws that hold the resevoir on.... Any ideas on how I can get that sucker out??

5. Boomdog

Boomdog Junior Member

I couldnt find a brass machine screw to replace the one I snapped but I picked up a stainless one. This should be ok right? Looks like I'll be tapping out that hole... wish me luck..

6. Boomdog

Boomdog Junior Member

Fixed it a few days ago. It was definitely the suction filter. the whole tube and filter fell off into the reservoir... Works like a charm now!