1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Could This Be A Good Plow Truck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by VIN, May 15, 2004.

1. VIN

VIN Junior Member

I was checkin out an 82 chev 3/4 ton 4x4 with, I was told a 350, and a four speed manual trans, which I think is a sm465. How do I figure out if the t-case is a 205 or a 208? How do I figure out the front and rear difs as well as the ratio? I'm new to the mechanical aspect of drivetrains and gears and all that. Absolutely any advice would be appreciated. PS The guy wants $2000 and it comes with a canopy, decent tires, the a/c is torn out 90,000 origional kms (@50-55,000miles) and 'very' little rust. Did I mention $2000 CANADIAN!!
  2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I think an '82 3/4 ton should have a 205 transfer. The 208 case was used in all with auto front hubs. So, if it has auto hubs it has a 208 case. But , if it has manual hubs they could have (probably were if it had autos) been changed at some point. There should be a metal tag on the rear of the t-case that should id it.

Definitely a 465 trans if it has the granny gear in low.

Axle ratios - there should be a code on the rear axle tube (right I think) that will have a code which a Chevy dealer should be able to translate. Also on the sticker in the glovebox is a list of option codes. Look for G options (G80 = positraction) GT? or GU? should be the axle ratio. Again a dealer should be able to translate.

An '82 chevy 3/4 ton with a 350 and SM465 should make an excellent plow truck.

Good Luck
  3. ratplow408

ratplow408 Member
    from PA

205 has tag on front center of case.It is usually covered in oil or dirt. You can also look on the rear of case, look for idler shaft cover. It is also in center of case look for flat round plate about 2.5" in diameter with a flat facing towards upper right. The 208 does not have a PTO.
    The axles are probably an 8 lug 10 bolt in front and a semi floating 14 bolt rear. There may be a tag on on diff cover bolt with ratio or pull cover and count ring gear teeth and pinion teeth then divide.
  4. VIN

VIN Junior Member

I found an old petersons 4wd mag that has the best of chevy, ford, dodge and toyota trucks to build up. It has all the years for chev from 73 to 87 . It lists the motors, trannys, t-cases and axles/ratios for each year of K10, 20, and 30. It mentions the 84 3/4 k20 as being a good rig because of the TH400 auto, np208(2.61:1), corporate 10 bolt front and 14 bolt rear. It also mentions the 79 1/2 k10 as having a p/t np205, sm465, corporate 10 front and a corp. 12 rear. I am going over to look into it further , yet I'm sure the 82 has a sm465, np205, 10 front and 14 rear. The mag mentions the 2.0:1 low range ratio on the np205 was alright/adequate because of the low available axle ratios avaiable. Anyway, I think it will make a good truck for plowing. Now, I've gotta come up with the $2000! Any lenders out there!!!
  5. gpin

gpin Senior Member

If you have experience, the manual trans is good but if you're just starting out, you might want to consider an automatic.
  6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The 208 transfer case is aluminum, the 205 and 203 are cast iron. As for the gears, with the fourspeed it really doesn't matter that much. You'll find out if you buy it, because one of the first things you should do before subjecting it to heavy work is something many trucks never seem to get--pull the cover and change the diff lube! Cheap and very informative! Don't forget the posi-additive if required...

The 14 bolt can also be a semi-floating version in a 3/4 ton. I have one from an '87.... note that a full floater has a series of bolts encircling the axleshaft (externally), while the semi-floater has none (only the lugnuts show on the outside)

My opinion---an excellent plow truck. I started as as novice with the fourspeed in my one-ton. Sounds like a real money-maker with low overhead... a near bullet-proof truck in good shape? Nice score.
  7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Holy old post tho! Wonder if he bought the truck?