1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

could something with the plow cause no running lights?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by windrowsnow, Dec 12, 2011.

1. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

as stated in the title, i have a dodge 2500 that has no running lights, headlights and brake lights are there just no tail lights, reverse or running lamps. there doesnt appear to be any burned out wires or relays and fuses. couldnt something in the relay for the plow mess up the lights?

2. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Check all your grounds first.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

sounds morte like your headlight switch. the plow harness ehhh. could but you would have rear running lights. I'd suspect the headlight switch.

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

harness would not make that much sence.

How old of truck are we working with here?

The part that makes it not quite make sence is that your reverse lights are not working. That pretty much rules out the plow harness.

So you have no corner markers and no reverse lights?

Everything else works?

DieselSS might be on the right track with the headlight switch, but the no reverse lights makes me think that the problem is elsewere

5. dieselss

The rev. Could just be the trans switch or ground in the back, or just bulbs. The no running lights, no power to them. Ck the pwr coming out of the switch.

6. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

Grounds are huge like mentioned, also check any butt connectors that may be in your wiring, I just went through the same thing and it was a butt connector that looked great on the out side but was all full of corrosion on the inside.

7. dieselss

Any butt connectors should be the heat shrink kind. None of those scotch clamp thingies or regular butt connectors.

8. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

it is a 2004 ram, replaced bulbs still nothing. no marker lights in the front no tail lights in the rear yet i have brake lights. and no reverse lights as well. i ordered a switch as a last resort. we tested fuses and are getting juice to em idk what else it could be

9. dieselss

Did u test the switch? See if your getting power out of it?

10. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

did not test the switch my brother ordered a new switch we plugged it in tonight and still had no running lights or tail lights. didnt have running lights on the plow either. hit the turn signal and the right side truck worked yet didnt ont he plow lights hit the left side and it worked ont he truck and on the right side of the plow. **** sucks. i am going to test the switch tomorrow and see if i cant follow wires and see if there is a burned out wire or something

11. dieselss

this is interesting........did you try and unplug the plow headlight harness at the truck lights and plug the factory lights back it??? only thing im thinking, corroded bad wire at the light connector?

12. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

no not yet, i actually didnt think of that! thanks. that is going to be tomorrows project for sure. it is in my brothers truck that he plows haha worse case at night he can ride his brake between lots if we cant figure it out

13. dieselss

Ok keep use posted and ask all you want

14. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

thanks for sure i will. i guesse this is just a sign from the truck gods that i need to stick with fords, i have three of thsoe and no problems what so ever

15. dieselss

Lol. Well don't tell but every now and again. Fords need attention too. Just like washing them!!

16. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

ended up giving up on the lights, finaly broke down and took it to a mechanic, he said for 200 bucks hell figure it out and fix it so let em have it lol

17. dieselss

ok,,sorry it had to come to that,,let us know what the final word was

18. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

the power module under the hood below the fuse box is bad,

19. dieselss

Wow. That was fast. Is it $$ if you don't mind me asking