1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

could I use this truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cowboy, Dec 10, 2000.

1. cowboy

cowboy Member

Alright hear is the deal, before I had my 81 Chevy, my first truck was a 74 Dodge 3/4 ton, well Im thinking about my company plan here, and why not keep that truck for plowing, I already have it.

Here is what it is:
    74 Dodge W200 3/4 ton Powerwagon
    318 V8/4 speed manual/NP205 transfer-case/Dana 60 full floater rear/Dana 44 front/warn hubs in front

good BFG All Terrain tires on it
    dual tanks

looks like an aftermarket High output alternator

cons: I really like Chevy's

looks pretty good, runs pretty good, needs some carb work (someone put on a manual choke that doesn't work worth crap)

anyway, tell me what you guys think

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

The pro's definately outweigh the cons, even though I too am a Chevy fan. Go for it.

3. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

Plain and simple its PAID for!!! Yes its worth doing something.
  4. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I would go with the powerwagon. That truck was made to plow,I have a 1977 i now use it now as a back up and the truck has never faild me.
  5. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I agree, its paid for keep it and work it. the expens of getting the carb repaired properly is alot lower than buying a new rig.

With a standard trans I would be careful as to who drives it and where you use it. There are some jobs thatare just better suited to an automatic trans. I speak from experience, I am still nursing sore knees from all thoughs years of left leg clutch pedal exercise in parking lots.

6. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

The powerwagons were pretty rugged trucks. That drivetrain is strong, and will stand up to a lot of use. I would take the time to make it reliable, and look decent. The 318's run 4ever, just need timing chains replaced. Fix or replace the carb(holley?), and the other little things and work it.

Those were some of the stronger trucks back then, IMO.

7. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

My dad had a 76 powerwagon that was a DPW truck and the only thing that stopped that truck was rust. We finally cracked the frame in the blizzard of 96.
  8. cowboy

cowboy Member

well looks like I should be able to use it atleast for one season, thanks for all the help guys@!