1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Could I put plow on my 1500 Chevy WT?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by woodmd, Feb 11, 2011.

1. woodmd

woodmd Junior Member

My current setup is on a 2005, chevy 2500. Wanting to add another truck next year, but seeing if I could get by with my half ton It is a 2007, 1500 WT with 4wd and a 4.8L V8. I have run tahoes in the past but they had 5.3L. I am assuming with timbrens and the right ballast I would be ok?

Thanks

2. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

should be fine. crank the torsion bars and get timbrens if you need them. I dont care what kind of pick up you plow with ballast always helps. I dont think the 4.8 will matter, should be okay

What kind of plow do you have your eye on? don't go bigger then a 7.5.

3. woodmd

woodmd Junior Member

I was planning on adding another Western Uni-Mount, 7.6 for sure. Wondering if it might be a good idea to look into one of their poly options. I have plowed with poly's before (meyer's) and they seemed to hold up fine. My hope for this 1500 would be to have it be strictly a residential truck or reserved for my small lots. We are adding a salt spreader to the 2500 so I would like to stay out of my residentials with that other than the long drives and circles.

4. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

you could go poly, I dont think theres a real drastic weight difference but if you look at it for corrosion resistance i suppose it would work... Im not a huge poly fan, I dont like how they fade. just my .02.....

5. The PuSher MaN

The PuSher MaN Senior Member

07 classic or new body style? The classic will hold a 7.5 pro plow fine new body style I would stay with a midweight.

6. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You going to put a Midweight or a Pro on it? You should be fine either way

7. woodmd

woodmd Junior Member

Classic...not the new spaceship design they have now lol

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

haha itll have no problem holding a 7' 6''

9. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

why is this in the pic section?

10. NICHOLS LANDSCA

It's not, you're in the chevy section. We all know it's just habit for you to surf the chevy section even before you got yours. Who cares about Dodge problems just scrap them:D

11. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

lol it was in the pic section, one of the mods must have moved it.

12. NICHOLS LANDSCA

Oh, well at least you have seen the light and have started your conversion:D

13. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

With Timbrens and some t-bar adjustment your half ton will handle the regular duty 7'6" nicely, there are many Chevy/GMC 1500's in my area running with the Fisher 7 1/2 ft RD.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You will need to find a used one, Western has not made the uni-mount for years.

Stihl guy; have you ever put a plow on a 07 or newer chevy 1500????? According to Fisher the only way he could install a SD would be if he had a 4.3L V-6 regular cab eight foot bed. Western says he can but an Mid-weight on that truck (4.3L) but outside of that it would be a HTS if we wants to go with one of the DD triplets.

15. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

BOSS said I could not put any plow on my 1500, but I did. It's only 130# over FAWR and it handles the 7.5 STD POLY plow I put on it, just fine. No timbrens, no cranking of the Tbars. Just 475# of ballast in the rear.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Well you can do anything you want to take the liability for. Boss, Chevy, and maybe your insurance will all wash their hands of you and throw you to the legal wolves should you be involved in a physical injury automobile accident with the plow attached to the truck. You will find your insurance is not valid if you a preforming an illegal act and as soon as the plaintiff's lawyer's research or expert witness (they research well, and employ some knowledgeable experts, it's all billable time) find that there is a "illegal" (violating at least the 105 brake certification, gross brake capacity and gross axle weight limits) plow on the vehicle you may find yourself facing the courts all alone unless you pay your own legal bills. When you lose (and you will, unless you can prove someone else in a position of awareness did the installation) they will take everything you own and attach your wages if that does not cover the judgement.

But that's just my own humble opinion. Maybe I'll see you in court, I'll be the one getting paid to be on the witness stand.:waving:

17. JimRoss

JimRoss Member

And how many 3/4 and 1 ton diesels with 9.2 XT V's running around, over thier FAWR are there as well?

18. bob coco

bob coco Member

I have the complete truckside setup for your truck. I just sold my 2006 GMC 1500. It's the Western Ultra mount setup. 3 Plug setup with all wiring and truckside mount with all hardware. It includes all truckside wiring, 4 port module, truckside mount, relay and brand new battery cable. I had it on my truck for 2 years but moved up to 2500's and bigger. That truck was a great driveway truck. I had installed timbrens and never touched the torsion bars. I also always had weight in the rear as it had a cap and tools at all times. Send me an email or give me a call @ (516) 903-0011

Thanks, Bob

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I sure there are tons and you are welcome to join them, I don't care.

I know about a couple in great detail, one of which is still pending:whistling:

20. skibum

skibum Junior Member
    from boston

absolutely, I run a 2005 1500 ext cab with a 7.5 foot Fisher LD. I've also got the 4.8 liter engine and pushing snow fine. I don't run with ballast other than a 28inch snowthrower but think an additional 300 pounds in the bed could give me more traction. The Fisher LD was renamed to SD in 2007ish but is the same plow. I've never measure front end squat, but looks to be 1-1.5 inches when I raise the plow and have not touched the torsion springs. let me know if there's anything else you want to know about my setup.