1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Could have ended worse

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chesterlawn, Dec 21, 2015.

1. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

This goes back to the late 80's. I was out plowing with my brother in law this day, we had started around 6 pm. I did the plowing and he shoveled as needed and we kept each other company. Well it was getting to be around midnight so we stopped at a bar in Strafford Pa to get a bite to eat and a beer. I parked in a shopping center across the street and we walked over and went in. I was at the bar and Ed, my brother in law, was busy talking to some friends elsewhere. After about 5-10 minutes these two guys come over and ask me if the plow truck across the street is mine and I tell them yes. Well they say that they were messing around in the snow and got stuck in a snow bank behind a store and could I pull them out and tell I them ya. They had walked out to their car and Ed came back over to me, I told him what was up so we walked out to my truck and drove to the back of the store where the two guys were. We got back there and got out of my truck, now there was a third guy in the car, I could tell that the car wasn't stuck and this was a set up. Back in the bar the two guys didn't see Ed, who is a pretty big guy and I'm 6'2" about 230, there was a stare down for like 15 seconds then they apologized about the car being not stuck. Now I'm sure if I was by myself I would have been rolled, and I had no wad of cash I bill my customers but they didn't know that. So be on the look out, and that was the 80's no beer now so don't give me crap. Also Ed was pizzed that there wasn't a fight.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  2. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

Good thing to keep a lookout of! Never would even think of that but that's cause most us guys wont even hesitate to help someone if they need a quick pull out. It's terrible we even have to be cautious when trying to help someone out...

3. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Yep, thanks for the heads up. One of the main reasons I CCW when plowing.

4. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Derrek
    This day and age I never leave home without it

5. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

^^^couldn't agree more

6. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, I've been bad about it lately, not as easy to hide in the summer out mowing, but definitely will have it when out in the dark at 0200 30 minutes from nowhere.

7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I find myself carrying more often than not now thag our town seems to have turned into the wild west. Shootings here are out of control. As far as the towing bit, people ask me once or twice a winter to pull them out. I just tell them my insurance forbids it mainly because someone will eventually sue you for "damage" even though their ride was messed up to begin with