1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Could a 1840 handle a 9' box blade?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by syzer, Dec 9, 2009.

1. syzer

syzer Member

We run a 440 and an 1840, I plan on getting either a 9 or 10' Kage plow for the 440, but am wondering if I go with a 9' for the 440, if I would be able to productively push snow with the 1840 with the 9'er.

What do you guys think? Obviously the 440 dwarfs the 1840 in regards of power, but could the 1840 handle the 9'er over the 8'er?

Thanks!

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i run similar CASE machines, 40xt and a 1840, first off, you aren't going to have good luck with a push on that 1840, mine has the smaller wheels, and to be honest it just doesn't push a 8 ft pusher very well. now your 440 is a different story, it is a little bigger then my 40xt, but it still isn't a huge machine, a 8 ft on it would be fine, 9-10 ft push, you are going to be stalling out in the middle of pushes. a 9-10ft pusher is reserved for the big machines, 85-95 xt's or a 460 or larger model, something in that 75+hp or better, (i think that 440 is running around 60-65hp, we run a 8ft push on the 40xt, and a 7 ft snow bucket on the 1840, and the set up works well, i hope this helps

3. syzer

syzer Member

Thanks for the info, the 440 runs an 83hp turbo diesel, I assume that it could easily handle a 9'er its a tank. Was hoping the little 1840 could, but I could see where it would struggle.

4. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

a little heads up about the 440 with 83hp, (and this comes directly from a Case dealer) they have chossen to measure the hp of case skidsteers differently with the new series, now i don't know exactly what this means but what i do know is that when talking to my dealer about a new machine, he compared a 420 to my 40xt as far as capabilites however the horsepower for the 420 is 65hp (if i remember correctly) yet when i asked him he told me that it has to do with a little tweaking, and how they are measuring it. Also, it isn't so much hp as weight of the machine, my 40xt is about 4500lbs, for a 9or10 ft pusher, you better be in the 7000-10000lb range, an example i can give is my cat 910 loader has a 10ft pusher on it, and weighs about 10000lbs and 76hp, and sometimes it gets too much in the bucket and quits pushing on me, also keep in mind with a geared transmission, that 76hp goes a lot further then a skid steer, with that being said, a 9 ft is probably ok for your machine, but if it were mine, i wouldn't go any higher, hope the info helps you out

5. syzer

syzer Member

Thanks, I appreciate the info! Sounds like something these darn manufacturers would do....never keep it simple =).

6. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i mentioned this to some one else buying a kage in case you're not aware....if you go with a 9 foot kage you can use a Boss skidsteer plow and maybe save some money if you can find one online. i use the 9ft Boss' w my kages because i can get them cheaper. The kage plow is probably heavier duty but you'd have to have a maniac operating your machine to tear up the Boss plow...
    steve

7. syzer

syzer Member

Thanks Steve, I did read that in my searches. What skid do you run yours on? Any pics?

8. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

all my machines are New Hollands....i'll see if i can get some pics for you