1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cost to customer for 5 gal pails of Magic Salt

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ducaticorse, Dec 13, 2012.

1. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I have a small commercial space that has requested 3, 5 gallon pails of Magic Salt to be left on site for their own employees to spread at will. I will refill when ever empty. I buy my MS in 25 ton plus quantities. So cost isn't a huge issue. I would like to beat a hardware store price for a similar bagged de-icer.

5 gallons of salt weighs roughly 62lbs I was thinking $40-$50 a pail. Keeping in mind I am procuring and refilling. They do nothing.

Thoughts?

I handle all salt applications on the rest of my sites so this is somewhat unfamiliar to me.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have banks that want calcium bucket left at each site. It costs me $9 in material to fill it up with calcium when empty. They use it if they need to spot treat an area or if we are not in the direct vicinity of the property. We do all the salting on site. We charge them $45 every time we have to fill up the container. Easy money.

3. ducaticorse

from we

Thanks for the response.

How big is the container?

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I am the same. I buy 5 gallon buckets with lids. I charge $50 to fill them (we usually just top them off as needed and then charge when we have refilled them).

We also do garbage barrels at condos along walks etc. Its in my contract, but for calaculating I figure it at $200 a barrel.

5. ducaticorse

from we

Thank you much!

6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

They are the run of the mill 5 gallon buckets. They tend to get a little heavy with the material considering it is calcium and it goes a long way for the amount needed to be applied. But we just check every time we are there and fill up when almost gone. They gladly pay and I refill it about 4 times a season.

7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I use 5 gallon buckets for sidewalks and driveway salting. You can only fit 1 50lb bad of whatever product you're using in there. I usually use Power Thaw which is a mixture of different products, I pay $9.30/bag for a 49 bag pallet. I wouldn't charge more than $30 for a 5 gallon bucket of that stuff. I don't know what prices are like where you are though.

8. ducaticorse

from we

How much does one of the 9 dollar bags weigh?

9. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

Im guessing 50 pounds.............payup

10. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

50 lbs. )))))))

11. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Can you teach your Customer to Say BEND OVER !!!!! 25 - 30 Dollars is more reasonable

12. ducaticorse

from we

Well, this is why I asked the question in the first place my friend.

13. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

I have one customer...Its a Large Mall on a $500,000 retainer that i have alot of those buckets at ever door............:drinkup:

14. ducaticorse

from we

Very funny. That's how many doors times 40 bucks a bucket? Large mall right? 500K makes sense..:yow!:

15. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

I had to supply 2 dozen of these in a big shopping center a few years ago. $45 I charged to refill and they gladly paid. This was a newer flasy shopping plaza so they did not mind the price. They were filled a couple of times a year and that was that.

I had another that wanted something more aestically pleasing and they wanted those stainless steel ash buckets with lids and locked to the ground. I got a bit more for these and was able to sell the buckets to the property owner as well. Had to keep a bag inside the bail etc... was a bit more headache but the price was right

16. ducaticorse

from we

My cost per lb of Magic Salt is far less than your cost per LB. So I guess I should be almost giving them a 50lb pail for free using that calculation.. I need to factor in convenience and service into the equation as well, so I guess 30 bucks a pail is fair...

17. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Even tbose prices are excessive by me.One of the Magic vendors by me gets $15 a pail,I get $10 from the left over from my hopper.Just at $10,I'm making app.175%profit.I simply do it to get rid of it quickly.

18. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I should have added that's picked up at my shop,NOT delivered.

19. ducaticorse

from we

Using others math here you are correct. I am in Boston proper and things cost more here because, well, it's Boston. If I went around placing 10 dollar pails of Magic Salt around here I'd get called a nut job.

20. ducaticorse

from we

Mine is delivered, would come with some type of scoop, and would be refilled by me or a crew member when needed. Factor in service, I think 30 bucks a pail is fair.