1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cost per hour for tractors

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PTSolutions, Jan 31, 2011.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

I am putting together a bid for a large shopping plaza (11.5acres) it will be our largest property bid yet.

I am thinking 2 tractors with pushers and maybe 2-3 trucks with large plows (810 blizzards or v+wings=11'width) doing the detail work and feeding the pushers.

I am figuring approximately 1 acre per hour for cost purposes and at $100 per hour for pickup trucks. this has been my typical formula and ive sometimes been the high bidder, low and middle bid.

i need to know from those who use tractor approx. 75-100hp units what they typically cost their tractors at when bidding to see if i need to adjust my hourly rate.

our diesel fuel is currently going for 3.30-3.50 per gallon and an operator will be paid approx 20 per hour.

so my guesstimate is 4gal per hour, and with operator, overhead etc... costs may approach 50-60 per hour? leaving me with maybe $40 per hour profit?

am I out of line, what numbers should I adjust?
  2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

just deleted the lot pic...
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  3. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

It sounds like youve got other lots of a fair size. So what I do is to figure out the squarefoot area of the other lots to the total square foot area of the one youre bidding on. Then figure out your gross from them. Definetly do not bid lower on the big lot then what youre getting on the smaller lots. Then I would figure out a increase or decrease as to the degree of difficulty or time to be spent on the lot because of curbs, trees etc. and if you have to remove snow off of site