1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cost of start up!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CashinH&P, Jan 17, 2012.

1. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

My grandfather has had a fisher 7'6" sd sitting in his yard since he bought a truck a few years ago. It is a MM1 and is set up to be on his truck (2000 chevy 1500 short bed regular cab) He has not used it in years (he has my old boss do his drive way now) But he said I can have the plow but he wants to keep all the mounting stuff on his truck so now I have get all the mounting and electrial stuff on my truck (2004 chevy 1500 z71 extra cab short bed) I have been quoted 1600 to do this. Does that seem right? I feel like thats expensive, that could be me being cheap im not sure though.

2. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

i think you should be around 600 in parts so 1000 to put it in is high

3. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

sounds high for my area but shoot, a box of cheerios is $8.00 . gallon of diesel $4.00.
    everything is expensive . good luck and get er done

4. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Wow thst alot less (and what i figured on spending) I went to dealers that were on the fisher web site. Should I try a smaller garage or something?

5. RepoMan1968

you'll need a "mounting carton" or "truckside accesory" install. Just make sure the garage is familiar with hanging racks . NO WELDING

6. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

What do you mean by that?

7. RepoMan1968

well thats what the industry describes the pieces by .
    dude , you really should let a dealer do it . it's worth it to be done right the first time . you dont want to run over your plow cause of inexperience or guessing game .you also should get a 2 warrantee on the work and mount

8. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Thats what I though too but 1600 seems steep. Did I just not describe it right to them or something?

9. RepoMan1968

not too familiar with fisher but i know the plow has the headgear included . but you should ask for the truckside accesories for your year/make/model of your truck and the plow you have .
    you may need a serial # off the plow or just the width measurements of the ears on the plow where you pin to the clevis frame on the truck.. there are different sizes of plows vs. the mounting hardware . i dont believe they're not universal like a newer Boss product .

post on the Fisher thread on the main page . just post Help .

you'll get it Thumbs Up

10. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Haha thanks I am very new to this and I have alot of questions

11. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Around here shops have whole used plow set ups you can buy from $1500-2000.

12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

For your truck you'll need the truck side mount, wiring harness, and a controller. $1600 seems very high. I'd expect no more then $1050.

I've never heard of a company making different width mounting points for different blades, as far as I know each manufacturer makes things the same width for convenience and ease of use. I've never dealt with Fisher but I can't imagine them making a different width hookup for a 7.6' then it would be for a 9.6' V.

13. RepoMan1968

if your not sure , never heard or cant imagine , do a search . they do

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  14. RepoMan1968

example , a meyer home plow and an HM series are 2 different animals requiring 2 different lift frame mounts:mechanic:

15. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

That is more of the price I was thinking. But 3 diffrent dealers from the fisher website all said between 1600$ to 1800$. I am going to another shop tomorrow to see if it will be cheaper. This shop was recomended to me by a friend and said they will take care of me. I am hesitent to have it done by a non dealer for reasons stated in repo1968 earlier post

16. RepoMan1968

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten.
    Ben Franklin

17. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Great Quote haha

18. dooleycorp

dooleycorp Senior Member

costs money to make money good luck

19. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

That doesn't sound too far out of line. When I was quoted all new parts from the dealer for my hiniker it was around $1300 for everything, but that didn't include install which I think I was quoted $250 for. I ended up sourcing the parts individually on ebay/craigslist/dealer and got all the parts for around $950 and installing it all myself. You have to remember, you have the truck side wiring harness, the truck side batter cables, the solenoid, headlight adapters, the mounting frame, and the mounting frame bolt kit. And you're trying to buy each bit individually from the dealer, it adds up fast. If I remember right from the dealer it was like $100 for the bolt kit, $70 for the headlight adapters, $30 for the battery cables, $100 for the bolt kit, $30 for the solenoid, $400+ for the truck side wiring harness and somewhere around $500 for the truck side mount.

Again this was a hiniker, but in my from my experience, because you're buying each part individually and paying for the install $1600 sounds about right. On the up side when you're done you'll always have grandpa's truck to borrow if yours breaks during a snow storm.

20. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

That all makes sense Thanks for the explanation. And yes that is why I didnt put up a fight to just take the stuff off his truck. A back up seemed like s good idea