1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cost of salt in bulk

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Rogerplows, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Rogerplows

Rogerplows Junior Member

I work for a small business with a friend. We've been offering plowing for about five (5) years now. This year, we want to add salting as a service offered. I am wondering what bulk salt is going for these days and where is the best place to purchase it in the Malden/Medford (2 cities north of Boston)area? We're buying two liftgate sanders (9 cu ft) at $1095 each (good price?). We made great money last year and looking forward to growing. Any thoughts on the prices here? We want straight salt, no mixture (for now).
  2. clive

clive Junior Member
    from Rockies

You may want to contact Symbiot. They have a great purchase program w/ JDL and Kissner products

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Rogers you should call eastern mineral in Chelsea. They are the area's biggest supplier and sell only by the ton. Don't know what the pricing is yet but I would imagine its in the area of 50-65 per ton right now.
  4. TriCountySnow

TriCountySnow Member

we use a company called "With A Grain Of Salt" they were the cheapest that we found. last yr we payed 55 dollars per ton. anything over 15 tons get cheaper rate. great place.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

The thing to remember here is location, location, location. The salt companies that have been recommended (if they sold in this area which I'm almost positive they don't) would have to buy from this company Easter mineral if they don't then the cost of trucking must be outrageous. This company is about 4-5 miles from Rogers plows so the cost of trucking is minimal even at todays fuel prices (although buying now would help) so outside companies have a distinct disadvantage when it comes to a volume discount. My advice cut out the middle man and go directly to the supplier.
  6. TriCountySnow

TriCountySnow Member

Good Point

JD that is a very good point, we pay almost 4000 dollars a yr for just delivery, got paper work today for first delivery now they are charging fuel surcharge. 100 dollars for 5 tons. thats crazy we are the third stop on the trip not sure how many stops there are either.
  7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Its great after you pay the $750 bucks just to join there lil club ! Thats a lot of salt you could buy outright and make money off of instead of giving it away.
    Rogerplows be carefull with the tailgate spreaders, most do not spread bulk salt very well. They are designed for clean bagged product. If you want to run bulk get a 2 stage unit designed for bulk. The issue here though is loading it as well, 9 cu is not alot so you either fill the bed or load tubs. If you have the storage and equipment to handle bulk why not just run one 8' v box ?
  8. Rogerplows

Rogerplows Junior Member

I know all about the tailgate spreader issues and agree that for a thousand dollars more or so each, we should go with the full bed spreader with auger and all that. Unfortunately, I only work for the company and am not an owner. Sometimes the boss can be very stubborn, no matter how much sense something makes. I am the Operations Manager and like I said, once his mind is made up, it's made up. I appreciate all the input from anyone and welcome any and all inquiries. I'm sure I'll be posting here again real soon. I'll check out the places all mentioned and go from there. Thanks again all!

9. Rogerplows

Rogerplows Junior Member

BTW, I just got off the phone with Eastern Mineral in Chelsea, MA. They said salt is at $74.90 a ton and possibly going up. Gotta love the northeast!
  10. Rogerplows

Rogerplows Junior Member

Talked to the boss again. He's insisting we're going with the original plan. Now I have to find bagged salt that will be kept in the bed of the trucks to replenish the hoppers every so often. Any ideas where I can get this stuff in bulk and save some coin? :confused:
  11. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

rogerplows,you should be able to buy your bagged salt by the pallet just about anywhere...home depot,hardware store etc...Bagged salt will work just fine,but you and your boss may want to discuss the advantages of bulk,versus the cost of workers comp.from back problems. :waving: