1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cost of Hydrolic fluid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bigcee, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Bigcee

Bigcee Junior Member

Went to my local Fisher dealer the other day andf got a gall on of hydrolic fluid so I could change out and nearly died as it cost as much as good scotch. $24 for a gallon did I get ripped or is this really this costly.:mad:

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

BigCee, that seems to be about the rate around here. I paid 22 and change at J.C. madigan a few weeks back.

Where abouts are you in the granite state?

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

$5 a quart here for BOSS fluid.

4. jlmac

jlmac Junior Member
    from Maine

I've had no problem using ATF. Why pay so much for fisher fluid. Is this the synthetic stuff I've been hearing about? I just change the ATF 2x, still seems cheaper.

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

The New electric pumps all require a new type of fluid, that has a high velosicty at lower temperatures. This fluid is based off aircraft hydro fluid, also know as HF-1.

Don't use atf in a new electric pump. Some of the older fisher's were fine with ATF, however run the new fisher fluid in it, and the pump doesn't work as hard.

Geoff

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The western manual states that Dextron 3 atf can be used down to -10. I have used it in all my electris plow with 0 problems. In fact the dealer installs ATF when setting up new plows.
    Dino

7. Armor

Armor Member

My tank hold 10 gal. I go to Sam's club and buy 5 gal for $23.99.:D

8. General Grounds

General Grounds Member

;) guys, i use Amsoil synthtic trans fluid in my westerns without a problem ever, works very well in transmissions as well. T

costs about 5.00 a quart.

9. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

The Boss fluid is Esso J-13 hydraulic oil (arctic). I buy it by the pail from my local bulk plant at about $30.00 for 20 litres. Seems reasonable to me. No ATF in pumps that are not under the hood here - they will not function on cold days.

10. MATTHEW

MATTHEW Member
    from NE OHIO

yeah, speaking of fluid...

Today I went to the Meyer dealer for a couple of quarts of Meyer M1. I got to the register and could not believe my eyes. I'm not a cheapskate, and will pay what things cost, but $8.99 a QUART??!!
    I can get it at the mower shop for $3.50. I had to laugh.