1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cost of bulk vs. bagged salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by GSS LLC, Feb 16, 2013.

1. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

confirm this for me, bagged salt is about .10 cents per pound. bulk is about .05 cents per pound?

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Confirmed. :D

But the last salt I purchased including delivery was $80/ton so that would be .04 / pound

3. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Confirmed at .05 and .10 Kubota gets cheaper salt just because he's awesome. : )

4. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Speaking of kubota, how is the liquid salt brine going? :laughing:

5. Kubota 8540

Salt brine is sitting still (lack of snow?) We had $66/ton salt in Dec 2012. Sure am getting the honey do list under control temporarily.

6. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I wasn't talking about you, I was joking with dodge blizzard because of his mishap of making liquid salt brine.

7. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

Kubota, where are you getting $66/ton salt at? Right off the boat? Cheapest I have ever found around southern WI is $90/ton if I buy a minimum of 22yds.

8. Kubota 8540

I didn't buy any, didn't think I was going to need any. So far I was right, no snow. But it was from one of the sponsors here on Plowsite (I think), that has a stockpile about 6-7 miles away. Thats the way I always buy, by the semi load 23-25 ton. Last salt I had hauled in was $80/ton with tax and trucking, came from Lemont teminal. 60+ miles away. Salting Material Supply Co.?

Back WHEN I started salting I was paying $7.00 /ton picked up?

9. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

bagged is more like .16 lb. and bulk is .04 lb. (bulk is 400% profit vs. bagged Thumbs Up)

10. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Some people I know can get salt at. 03lb. But thats picked up in their own truck. But I also know guys that can get bagged really cheap. All depends on how much you buy and how good you pay.

11. Spool it up

cheapest 2450lb skid I'v seen was 175.00 @ .07lb . that was grabbing atleast 5 skids at a time .

i can remember 30 - 80# bag skids , haven't seen them in a while .they were 145.00

12. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Buy a semi or two of those pallets, pay with business check at delivery, and its a lot cheaper. But thats probably obvious

13. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

My bag salt is .0712 lb Im still running last year stock Still have 12 pallets left Might be a different story on the next trailer load

14. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds about right to me.

15. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Depends on what you consider the "cost of bulk". Last I checked, it cost a huge upfront cost to have a structure to hold it and a loader to keep there. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have bulk salt available at a local supplier.

To answer your questions on actual material cost, then yes I would say you are about right. $0.04-6 for bulk and roughly $0.08/9/10 for bagged dependent upon quantity purchased.

16. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I have bulk delivered under contract for $68 a ton....

17. Spool it up

with a minimum of ______________ ton

18. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

250 Tons under contract, i have to take 80% of that, I can take up to 120% of that.