1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cost of a new paint job

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Rick547, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have 1999 Ford F150 Short Bed Truck that the clear coat is coming off. I need to get it painted sometime this coming year. I do not have the equipment to do it my self and I'm wondering how much it will cost me to have it painted professionally.

2. snremo_by_tm

snremo_by_tm Junior Member

five thousand

3. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

What happened to Earl Sheib? LOL!

4. snremo_by_tm

snremo_by_tm Junior Member

gone, gone, gone, she's been gone so long

5. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I went to the new Earl Sheib..... MACCO. They paint my blue f-350 to white. Door jams and all with the best paint they had for 1,500.00 Its an ok paint job for a work truck. I wouldnt take no show car there.

6. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

MAACO , tree tree % cheaper than a body chop . be prepared for an orange peel finish :dizzy:

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Take it from a painter. The prep is where the job shines. Painting is a very small part.
    You prep it yourself, the cheap places can give you a decent paint job. I did all the prep on my Bronco II and had Maaco shoot it Black Cherry Burgundy. (80's Dodge Color) You have to get it totally clean of wax/grease/silicon/tar. I wet sanded the whole body 3 times. Using 320 - 400 then 600 grit wet sand paper. Got all the defects out of the paint.Then cleaned it good again. Stripped all the trim and lights I could get off. They did a very good job. They are body work book available that can help you get good results. How to use spot putty and primer build ups. You do it right and you can have any color you want shot on it. If it's just the clear coat coming off and the rest of the paint is good. You can find someone who can wet sand off the clear coat. They use 600 grit or corn starch to take it off. Then shoot clear coat back on. A $5,000 job is most often a total strip off and wet sand/prime/base coat/finish coat job. More a total restore paint job.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  8. pennsylvaniaboy

pennsylvaniaboy Junior Member

4-5k for a truck, 2500+ for a car

9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Just get it recleared and save a ton of money

10. 04fivefour

04fivefour Junior Member

$50 - Rustoleum Flat Black Primer :D