1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cost for repair???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by baddboygeorge, Feb 3, 2007.

1. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

let me hear from any diesel mechanic, an what you would charge for the following: replace 4 injectors that customer supplied, 1 fuel pump, 18 inches of new fuel line,an a few small hose clamps. What would be the labor rate on that ?? please let me know cause i think i got shafted!!!
  2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

need to know what truck, year and motor
  3. baddboygeorge

its a 90 F-250 ford 7.3 diesel
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Would that be a fuel pump comming out of the tank or a fuel injection pump?
  5. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

IDI engines did not have in tank pumps, so that would be the lift pump.
    Where are the repairs to be done at, my shop or you house? Where exactly is the fuel line located on your truck, metal or rubber? Why only 4 injectors, they all should have the same mileage on them. It is good practice to change them in complete sets. I would be suspect of the customer only wanting 1/2 of a job done (cheapskate red flag, CYA premium charges apply). Since they are customer supplied no parts warranty on them. My regular road call labor rates are $65/hr from when I hang up the phone untill when I get home.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You want cheaper rates because you supply your own parts? Do you take your own food to a restaurant and ask them to cook it or take your own supplies to a hospital? :dizzy: If I were the shop or mechanic I would charge extra too. Shops and mechanics make a little extra on parts.
  7. baddboygeorge

he got me real well!

i wont ever go to him again an the reason i oly installed 4 injectors cause i installed the other 4 myself about a year ago! truck is going back to the shop tommorrow cause his repairs are leaking! damn mechanis , that why i try to work on everything myself !!