1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Corrosiveness of Magic Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dzines, Nov 1, 2004.

1. dzines

dzines Junior Member

I live about 45 minutes away from 90% of my winter worksites, which all will require de-icing for the first time this year. I am new to this end of the market. I have the idea that I plan to purchase an old farm hopper wagon with a good running gear under it and load and store salt on it with a tarp over it. I have an old hydraulic auger that will mount under the door of the wagon. I plan to just leave the wagon on site through the winter and fill it as needed. I'm trying to prevent having to leave a loader of some sort onsite all the time. Will salt or magic salt be harder on the steel and the auger. If I keep everything dry will I have problems with this idea. Would it be better for me to just get bulk road salt and spray Magic liquid on the salt when it goes through the auger when I'm loading. A little help please.
    Thanks

2. dzines

dzines Junior Member

I'm still trying to decide what way to go on type of spreader to get. I've been looking for used SS V-boxes, but they are pretty hard to come by. I thought I had a Snow-ex 8000 bought on ebay last week, but I lost. So now I'm back to square one. Don't even know if I need more than a tailgate spreader. I currently have one really big Super Target, 2 little strip malls, and a condo community. But, I hope to keep getting more!!!

Undecided

3. plowed

plowed Senior Member

With what you have you'll need more than a tailgate spreader, unless you want to load it up every few minutes. A larger V-box 4-5 yarder at least I would say. how large is the Super Target? For the others a tailgate spreader may work.

As for the Magic, it works great.

4. dzines

dzines Junior Member

I've been planning to purchase a bulk spreader of some sort, but don't know which way to go. I hate to get one that doesn't have a hinged spinner assembly. (I want to be able to pull a trailer) My local dealer thinks I should go with a Snow-ex 8000, but $3500 is a lot to spend, in my mind, on alot of plastic and 12V motors.......but much less than a SS Full size box spreader. I hate to go with mild steel as well.

Anyway after reading everyone rave about Magic Salt, I began wondering if i could cover that kind of area with less material, thus.. a smaller, less expensive, spreader. Probably wouldn't leave much room to expand business, though, huh??

The SuperTarget is huge, and brand new.....I'm really excited to have gotten the job. I've not had any contracts that had BRAND NEW asphalt before!! The only thing I don't like is all the damn Islands and landscaping, and cart corralls EVERYWHERE!!

5. rainair

rainair Senior Member

using a grain body to store salt

hey someone else has gotten the same idea, but go 1 better.
    before you put salt or magic salt in it, have it sprayed with a truck bed liner.
    but check all the seams first and clean it with a degreaser.. and make sure its dry before spraying the liner.. that will help

for those here in the Midwest, contact Tri green equipt. in London Ohio.
    its an auction place for farm stuff and they have 100's of the grain bodies on wheels and off... cheap too

Did you vote today?

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You'd better worry more about damage to that new asphalt and vegetation than damage to a steel spreader. You can wash out the spreader.

7. salt shaker

salt shaker Member

Food for thought

If you are going to spray your salt as it comes out of the auger how do you control any over-spray? Why not mix the salt before you put it in the grain cart(hopper wagon)? rainar why should he spray a liner on it? A spray in liner is designed to, one protect a surface sure, but two it is also meant to be able to allow anything placed in a truck bed to stay where you put it, so it doesn't slide . Kinda defeats the purpose of letting material flow through to the auger right? If you go with Magic Salt why are you worried about corrosion? It's noncorrosive, thats one of it's benefits! I'd just be worried for one, if you were to spray the salt as it comes out and try to get even coverage of the salt and obtain the 8 gal. per ton ratio, you will have more Magic liquid on the ground than on your salt! Just my opinion, but something to think about.

8. dzines

dzines Junior Member

I was actually planning on trying to spray it before it goes into the auger, and let the auger mix it up. The hopper at the base of the auger is mounted to the wagon right under the door, and is open. I thought if I know i'm gonna load 1T, 1.5T, etc. I know when I'm loading that I have to get that much liquid applied before spreader is full. I thought I could use a pump garden sprayer to spray the salt on its way into the auger. I planned on some trial and error, but i figured that if the liquid and the salt both travel through 10' of auger flighting together, then they would be mixed thoroghly enough by the time they fell into the spreader.

I've never heard of magic salt, until the last couple weeks. (on here) have no dealer close. So no experience with the product, only know what I've seen on plowsite and magics site.

If experienced people do not think this would work or is a waste of time & money, please let me know!!! Thanks for any feedback
    D

9. rainair

rainair Senior Member

liner for a gravity bed GRAIN bed

look at the angle of a GRAIN Wagon!

10. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

dzines

Did you ever get your Super Target etc. and Magic figured out?

11. Chaser13114

Chaser13114 Senior Member

Frozen

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this so maybe its unique to my geographic area but I don't think so. We have alot of experience dealing with bulk deicer products. The system you describe has one serious problem. If you leave regular bulk rock salt in a grain hopper like you explained I think it will freeze solid. Even if its dry and covered it will absorb moisture out of the air. It won't freeze at 32 degrees it will have to get down to about 20. Once its reached those lower temps for a night or two you will find the salt will start to freeze from the outside in. It will develop a crust over the top and on the sides that will slowly get thicker as the temps remain low. A week of temps in the teens an you will swear you have one gigantic rock in the wagon that you can barely chip away with a jack hammer.

As far as magic they recomend it is treated at least 24 hrs ahead of time. Gives the salt a chance to absorb the liquid. We have found magic salt is much less prone to freezing so that may be a better option however even Magic salt will crust over when the temps remain low enough.

Magic salt will be easier on the metal and on the enviroment but I think those are the least of your worries.

Hope this helps

Last edited: Feb 20, 2005