1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

corrosion protection

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by NH Plowman, Sep 23, 2016.

1. NH Plowman

NH Plowman Junior Member
    from NH

What are all you guys using to treat your truck frames for corrosion? I've just washed, scraped and used a rust conversion liquid to treat my frame and other underneath stuff, once I coat or paint it I'm looking for ideas on what to put on it for the winter ie; fluid film or some other substance.

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

fluid film

CARDOCTOR likes this.
  3. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

Siloxane, solvent based

4. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

i spray the chassis with waste oil when i do the annual service each september. I have a fleet of late 70's and early 80's chevys that are still going strong.

5. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I just bought a truck. The guy used linseed oil swaers by it. Its for wood any one ever heard or tryef it

6. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i started using the diesel/motor oil mixture for yrs.converted to fluid film last yr .holds up pretty well and last the whole yr.be careful using linseed oil on a rag its very combustible

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Do a search for LS3, I believe it was. Someone did a side by side by side test with that and FF.

It's in the What Did You Do Today 2.0 thread, I think. I can't find it right now.

8. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

LPS3

9. Philbilly2

Woah... I have not heard that one. We use waste oil at the farm on the shanks on the cultivators, disk blades, plow moulboards... that stuff just to keep them shiny so they clean right off next year and don't cake when you start tilling... but on the frame of a truck... how much does that suck when you have to work on it???

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Guess that's why I couldn't find it.

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Maybe it's time to have your halo recalibrated....

I use nothing for rust prevention other than keeping things painted. I just wash everything and park inside the shop.

12. SFCarmyvet

SFCarmyvet Member

I just bought my truck they were going to charge me 1000 for a corrosion protection treatment. I said no because my plow dealer mentioned fluid film which is a fraction of the that cost. There is another forum on here from 2008 called amount of fluidfilm to undercoat F250. Some guys were using 4 cans and some were buying in bulk and using up to a gallon. I trust me applying the fluidfilm before the dealership selling me some corrosion protection and they did not even know what product they used.

13. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

my local napa store carries Fluid Film in think its $40.00 a gallon . i usually use almost 1 gal to spray everything under the truck and under the hood.

SFCarmyvet likes this.
  14. SFCarmyvet

SFCarmyvet Member

Do you spray parts of your plow as well?

15. LapeerLandscape

16. LapeerLandscape

17. Philbilly2