1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Corrosion protection question

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Capodosto, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Capodosto

Capodosto Member

Thanks a bunch to all who answered my question about charging the battery through the lighter plug, here's another "newbie" question:

I am all set with my brand new $ 3,300 Meyer plow on my not-so-brand-new $ 895 Jeep Cherokee, and I should be fine if we ever get any snow here in CT. Since I only bought the truck and plow to do my own driveway (and maybe a neighbor or two as a favor), I am thinking that as long as I care for it properly, I should get a lifetime of use out of the plow. I may have to keep changing out the $ 895 trucks every couple of years, but I am hoping that the plow will last forever. Here is my question: On my motorcycle, I am used to spraying the steel surfaces with silicone when I put the bike into hibernation (in my garage) for the winter. The plow and truck are going to live outside in the yard. Is there any value, or problem, if I spray the plow setup (pump, wires, cylinders, etc, probably not the blade) with silicone spray in between storms and especially when it is going to be parked for the season? Is there something better than spray silicone to use?

PS. For the enjoyment of anyone in Connecticut, I attached a picture of the normal view out of my back window at this time of year.

2. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

Search fluid film :)
  3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

I agree...Fluid Film.

...Also thanks for rubbing it in lol. I posted some pics yesterday of a storm we had in 2002. Check it out, its in the storm pics forum.
  4. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

you can try here, they have fluid film
  5. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Man, I love you guys! Dan, if you haven't tried Fluid Film yet just pm me or shoot me an email letting me know where yo heard about it. :drinkup:
  6. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Spray it down with Diesel Fuel, or Thin out your used motor oil