1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Corrosion on hydraulic cylinders

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by nickPSD, Dec 11, 2006.

1. nickPSD

nickPSD Member

I just pulled my plow out of its summer sleep (I know its december, very very warm november) and I noticed that both of the big cylinders that push the plow left and right both have a few little "dots" of corrosion on them, that seem to have eaten there way threw the chrome shine on the cylinders. Before I put the plow away for the summer, I sprayed the whole thing down with a couple cans of fluid film. What should I do about the corrosion, or will it not cause me a problem?

Thanks Nick

2. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

http://www.plowsite.com/images/smilies/tongue.

Rust is corrosion on the plow is just to remind you that it is Blizzard plow (after the stickers fall off).

Seriously it would matter how bad they are corroded. Then again none is good. First problem is that it will interfere with the wipers. Any pics? That would surely help. How old is the plow?

3. starc

starc Senior Member

In the spring when you put it away, I would coat the exposed part of the cylinders with grease or some sort of rust inhibitor. I don't think it has anything to do with being a Blizzard plow as they don't think they make the cylinders.

4. starc

starc Senior Member

You might want to use some emery cloth to smooth and sharp edges to protect the outer seals from wearing prematurely

5. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

I am curious then. What part of the plow do you think Blizzard "makes"?

I can see the letters from Blizzard now.

Dear Upset Blizzard Owner,

I am writing in response to your letter stating that the paint had fallen off your plow and rust as taken over, all before it has ever been put to use. At Blizzard we strive to produce the best product in the snow plow market and we respect your concerns.

I did talk to our Engineering Department. They conducted research and discovered that in fact we did not produce the paint nor the steel that it was applied to. Thus we are not responsible for the paint cluttering your driveway nor the rust stains on it.

With that said, we are not able to cover your Blizzard plow under warranty. For future warranty work, please contact the original manufacture (i.e. paint issues go to DuPont).

I was able to contact Pittsburgh Steel (the company that produced the steel for us) on your behalf and voiced your concerns. Their exact comment was "Not our problem, contact the company that dug the ore out of the ground". So with that info, any issues regarding paint falling off steel should be addressed to Wyoming Ore Inc.

Your plow buddy,
    John Blizzard

PS All in good fun

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  6. starc

starc Senior Member

I would imagine they fabricate the plow and A frame, the rest, such as the pump, cylinders, springs etc are purchased and attached to what they made, same would go for most plows.

7. starc

starc Senior Member

As far as paint goes, they may be omitting a layer of primmer or possibly the primer all together...not sure

8. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Dear Upset Blizzard Owner,

Through some strange coincidence I heard back from Wyoming Ore Inc. I think Pittsburgh Steel had tipped them off that someone was upset with paint falling of their ore.

Nevertheless, I spoke to a manager out there. Nice fellow he was. He was able to trace where and when the ore for your plow was dug out of the ground. Problem is it was dug out by a fellow named Bob who was working the shovel that day. Well Bob no longer works for Wyoming Ore, thus Wyoming Ore cannot be held responsible for the paint falling off their ore.

Please contact Bob the mining shovel operator, for any paint not holding to steel issues. For that matter any issues regarding steel, bad welds, or weak steel. Please contact Bob. If you ever find his contact info, I would be happy if you could pass it along, as I can pass this info out to other upset blizzard owners.

Sincerly,
    John Blizzard

PS I have enclosed a coupon for $50 off your next Blizzard plow purchase for your trouble. Only good for 90 days, so please act soon.

9. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Oh I see now. So if the springs break, pump goes bad, cylinder chrome falls off, it "does not have anything to do with Blizzard".

Makes all the sense to me. LMAO

10. 1st Bow

1st Bow Junior Member
    from nw ohio

I would have thought the fluid film would have held back the rust? I'd use fine steel wool to knock it down if it's just small dots of rust. Good chance you'll have to have them re-chromed.

11. lubricity

lubricity Member

How old is it, we had the same problem

12. nickPSD

nickPSD Member

I just bought it new, last year. I have pics, just need to post them

13. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

Your Not The Only One Bro.. I Bought 2 Last Year And Both Look Like The Have Been Througha War. Thats Like Me Telling Some One Oh Im Sorry Your Grass Didnt Grow When I Planted This Seed. The Seed Must Be Bad Let Me Call The Seed Maker. Step Upto The Plate Blizzard. It Took 5 Years For My Fishers To Even Start To Rust Nevermind Fall Apart Like A Payless Shoe.

P.S. THE GUY THAT PUT THE SEED DOWN QUIT SO I CANT COVER IT. HOWS THAT QUOTE SAID, "JUST GET IT DONE." IF U SENT ONE OF YOURS GUY INTO BUY A BLIZZARD WITH A CHECK AND THEN YOU CANCELED THE CHECK YOU COULD SAY SORRY HE DOESNT WORK HERE ANYMORE SO WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT, THANKS FOR THE PLOW THOUGH.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  14. nickPSD

nickPSD Member

Mine doesnt look good either, but its not bad, but not nearly as bad as some of the westerns that are 5+ years old look, and mine is only on its 2nd season. :dizzy:

15. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

my 810 is 2 years old and the paint looks like crap. its acutuly a powder coat they have changed their process but it does nothing to help us.

16. TritonSnownIce

TritonSnownIce Junior Member

I have several Blizzard plows. All of them seem to be in good shape.Of course after each plowing event they are pressure washed and in the off season they are waxed before storage. Maybe a little TLC would help!

17. nickPSD

nickPSD Member

Mine has been washed after each snow event, I will post some pics, its not horrible, but still, leaves alot to be desired :dizzy:

Here is a pic I just took, not even 10 mins ago, the only reason there is snow on the blade is that its 6 degree's out :brrr:

[​IMG]

Here is a pic that shows the little "dots" that are coming off the cylinders, I hope they wont cause much of a problem, but they will get fixed after this winter

[​IMG]

As you can see there is plenty of fluid film on all the hoses, and on the cylinders, it gets sprayed down with it, after every use, and washing

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  18. lubricity

lubricity Member

It seems Blizzard has scimped on their plating. These cylinders should not pit in 5 years. We wash ours and coat them when not in use. The big problem is the pits will tear up the seals and it will start leaking.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  19. nickPSD

nickPSD Member

Mine started to pit, the first year I had it:mad:

20. nickPSD

nickPSD Member

nobody has any insight into this? I took it back to the dealer for like the 3rd time, and got pretty much the same response, "its not going to hurt anything" dont know if I belivie that or not, but time will tell:cry: