1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Corrosion Inhibitor

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jsenske1, Nov 11, 2011.

1. jsenske1

jsenske1 Junior Member
    from mi

Many commercial liquid de-icers claim to have an "all natural" corrosion inhibitor in some sort of percentage added to there product. All have similiar claims as to what percentage it actually reduces the corrosiveness. My question is, besides beet juice, what other natural ingrediant is added to liquids to reduce the corrosion? Just curious, plus one of my customers asked me after reading the msds sheet. thanks in advance

2. DKG

DKG Senior Member

Many commercial liquid de-icers contain a carbohydrate based corrosion inhibitor. Beet juice is one, corn steep is another. Neither of these addatives will lower the freezing point of water on their own, but claim to enhance the performance of the de-icer it is mixed with, as far as corrosion, I think Dale Keep said it best, ''1000 gallons of salt brine contains about 1 ton of salt, very corrosive stuff, your telling me by adding a percentage of whatever, your going to take away all that corrosiveness, I'm not sure if I want to stand beside it'

3. jsenske1

jsenske1 Junior Member
    from mi

DKG, my thoughts EXACTLY!! If brand "x" is 70 percent less corrosive than say rock salt, its still 30% corrosive! Thank you for confirming my thoughts on this subject. What exactly is corn steep? is it a syrup? thanks again

4. DKG

DKG Senior Member

Corn steep is the crud that is left over when corn is wet milled to separate out starch and gluten. It was the corrosion inhibitor in ICEBAN. In my operation, I figured I could rust proof my truck after each storm cheaper than using products with an ihibitor.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Yes, the local Ethanol plant labels it as a liquid DGDS, or distillers grain dry solubles. Potatoes will also give you a by-product from the distilling process of vodka and I think this is what Magic Salt uses.

I've done some simple math and in my opinion it does work as a corrosion and PH neutralizer when used in liquid ice melt applications, with the correct mixing.

Also, in my own experience, I used to haul wet gluten feed from the ethanol plant for a local cattle grower. If any residue was left in the truck, it would heavily stick to it and cause corrosion of my steel dump bed. My guess is that it's at the other end of the PH spectrum compared to liquid ice melt solutions so when combining the two, you get a neutral PH.