1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Corrosion Inhibitor Options

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by William Brett, Feb 7, 2012.

1. William Brett

William Brett Member

So what other options are there for reduceing the corrosiveness of Sodium chloride brines other than Mollases?

Also for those sciencey people out there what are the principles of reduceing the corosiveness of the brine?

Cheers

Will

2. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

pressure wash unit and equipment after each use helps

3. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

There are many wash type products that state they neutralize salt/chlorides and its effects, I personally haven't found one that works,yet...
    As stated above, a good washing,I used to use a good industrial equipment wash soap with the pressure washer,it had corrosion inhibiter's added so it may or may not have slowed down the rusting process.
    A couple times a season (spring and fall)After a good cleaning I would spray the body seams,inner fenders, floors, frame rails etc with a anti corrosive,sealing type product..
    I have found Fluid Film to be good for this application..I would also coat piston chrome,plows, mower decks etc before storage...
    Beyond that I did allot of media blasting ,sealing,priming and top coats of an industrial paint to seal out the potential corrosion...
    Fighting corrosion is part of a multi step maintenance plan , kind of like changing your oil and greasing you just have to keep up with it.

4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I do believe he is looking for an additive to mix in with his salt brine to reduce corrosiveness.

5. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Ahhh, Other than mixing in Molasses for wide spread road use I haven't heard of anything.
    The airports use something all together different but I am sure is big $$...

6. Kubota 8540

If you are willing to do a bunch of reading? In one of the liquid threads I have posted to, there was a suggestion of a concentrated additive that is suppose to work. But I don't remember which thread or the name of the product.

7. William Brett

William Brett Member

Correct, to not only reduce damage to the machine but also onsite metal work.

In your expeeriance kubota have you ever had any problems regard lamp posts etc and salt brine?

Cheers Will

8. William Brett

William Brett Member

I will try having a look.

9. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

look up Anderson Additive or Ice Bite on google or PM and I can give you some more info

10. todddude

todddude Junior Member

William, I have an additive which we apply to rock salt that does a wonderful job minimizing corrosion. It is an Organic Base Performence Enhancer (OBPE) that is blended with Cacium Chloride. The naturally occuring Pytic Acid essentially stops the oxidation process mid-stream. I have it available in 3 concentrations depending on your use. It can be applied at the spinner, onto your pile & blended or direct applied as a pretreatment. You can PM me or email me for more info & pricing.

We have used it since 2005 and only changed our bed chain once, have been using the same loader for mixing (bucket looks like new except for wear edge) and just replaced the truck that was salting for mechanical reasons, not rust. I have worse rusing on the undercarrige than i do in the truck body which always has excess salt piled up from loading.

If you google Phytic Acid you will see how it works & who uses it. As I always say....do a little research, don't always believe the salesperson. :) Nothing is "rust-proof" or "corrosion free", everything gets a little oxidation on it. You have to stop the corrosion process from damaging the steel deeply. Hence the Phytic Acid....it stops the anode reaction in the oxidation process. It's way to early to get into the chemistry of it but check it out....

11. Kubota 8540

If it is metal, it will attack it.