1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

correct way to stack?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by stillen, Jul 27, 2008.

1. stillen

stillen Senior Member

I know there is an art to this and expereience goes a long way. But I need a hint on how to get started....

I know stacking snow isn't just driving fast into a snow bank.... Do you lift up on the plow as you approach so the plow rides up the snowbank as you push the snow up? or does the blade ride up the snow bank automatically?? Any hints are glady welcomed...

Thanks

2. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Here is my 2 cents!:rolleyes: As you approach the pile at about 5-15 miles an hour, start to lift the blade. You really only have to go up with the controller for a second or so then the plow rides up the pile as you go into it. Try not to let your front wheels get too far into or up the pile, thats how you get stuck. If you need more height raise the blade more then the initial few inches as you progress into the pile. Soon you will see a bunch of white. Lift the plow all the way before you start backing up so you don't drag any snow back with you. Its all about timing and when you lift the blade, you want to try to let the plow ride up its self so you are not abusing the hydraulic system too much. You get the hang of it quick, its easy to make big piles, not easy when you get stuck though. Use your judgement and try not to get deep into pile

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If the pile freezes....timing becomes ALOT more important. Hitting a frozen pile at 5-15MPH is like hitting a parking curb. It will hurt.

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Use a loader. Plows are for pushing snow. Buckets are for stacking.

5. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

not every company has that luxary. itll take some practice but youll get it down pretty quick.

6. stillen

stillen Senior Member

Is there even a safe speed to appraoch a NON frozen snowbank, I have a trip blade on my MM2..

7. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

youll get the feel for it.. i use approach the bank let off and coast up into it then give it a little gas to push it. that way you dont hit it to hard and mess something up. if you need to back up and get into it again with a little more steam if needed. :salute:

8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

frozen piles are hard to stack on... i try to make sure the snow gets moved before it freezes down , so its not in the way for the next storm

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I prefer frozen piles. You can drive on them to stack higher.

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

11. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

12. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Treat you like an employee here.

Get back in your truck and figure it out. If you do it wrong i'll tell you, If I go away you did it write.

Peterbilt

13. stillen

stillen Senior Member

Ok, i got sevreal storms under my belt, with 20 plus driveways each storm, and helping a few friends do a few commecial lots, I have NOT had any luck with stacking.... I watch all these videos, and friends stacking snow high,, yet i have very little luck...

I usually end up burying my plow in the snow bank, and having to get yanked out...

I see others with the plow riding right up the contour of the snow bank, while i, like i said, almost set off my airbags (not literally, but u get my drift,(little pun there) )....

This is what i am doing, i start with a full load, and head towards snow bank, just before i get there, i lift up a tad and it starts to lift the blade, i hit the bottom of the snowbank and sometimes the blade rides up a bit and pushes the snow over the top, other times i end up pushing the bottom of the snowbank in a tad.... My friends say that i should be leaving it in float mode, allowing the blade to have full motion, but ive had less luck with this....

any hints guys?/ thanks

O by the way, i have a 8 foot striaght fisher HD..... MM2

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  14. just plow it

just plow it Senior Member

First of all a straight blade will not stack as well as a V will. Second thing is try to raise your plow as you are going into the pile, don't just pick it up a little bit and let it glide up. when your about 5 feet from the pile pick your plow up just enough to take the weight off the plow and once the blade touches the pile LIFT it up until it maxes out. It's a timing game. also if you don't have a deflector on your plow it will not float up as easy because the snow will not get under it and lift for you.:) I hope this will help you out.

15. Runner

Runner Senior Member

The idea is knowing how much is being left under the truck as you are lifting slightly on the blade. You work the pile little by little with each stroke you take, The truck goes over the small ramp and packs it down. Eventually, this stuff becoes packed ice. When you are done pushing at that pile, if you leave a little gradual ramp going up, it may seem untidy and not as clean cut at the time, but you will thank yourself next time you come in and push. This stuff will freeze down, and give you a rigid ramp to start. Eventually, as more and more snow accumulates with each event, you can goo higher and higher in to the pile without sinking in (as stated earlier, if you do, you can be all done - stuck). Now, going up higher in the snow bank doesn't necessarily mean further IN to the bank. The ramp builds slowly, and yes, snow DOES get pushed up OVER the top. Be careful toward the top, as to not let the blade go up over the crest of the pile too far, because the truck again can sink in and/or the blade can get hung up in the top of the pile. One thing to keep in mind, some plows are better for stacking than others, as the angle is different at the highest pivot point. I have had much better results with the straight blades than I have with Boss V blades for stacking. The V blades don't lift to that high of a trajectory, and the combined weight of the plow on the front makes the truck more prone to sink. The stacking has to be done much more carefully. Now, I am not talking about initial stacking, here...or piles around 6 or 8 ft high. I am talking about accumulatives of around 16 ft. piles or so.

16. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

16 ft pile with pickup wow would love to see that.

I started this year never plowed with a pickup in my life. i started out and then made my piles back as far as i could then ove time i would be able to stack them up higher and higher because every time i did it there was like a ramp there. but now the piles are all about 6 to 8 ft high and when i hit the piles i lift the blade before hitting and then lift as i hit the pile this begins the action of the blade lifting up and let the pile do the rest of the work. my plow will normally got up as far as it can possibly go everytime i stack on the bigger stacks. some trucks can stack higher then others and some plows can stack higher then others. i had a guy ride along with me one day and tel me that his dodge 2500 couldn't stack anywhere near as high as my gmc 2500 only about half the heights i was getting. his truck also has a way newer plow. could be the reason.

I also hit the pile pretty quick.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  17. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

This is good advice. ^^^^^

Stacking is about momentum and timing. You can't be driving too slow, and you have to get that blade raising up before you bury it into the pile. I find I can stack the easiest/best in the 'scoop" position.

It is hard to stack into a pile that does not already have a gradual slope to it. You need to make the slope yourself, and then maintain it. Don't try stacking on a vertical wall of snow, it's not nearly as easy.

Also, stacking 16 ft high with a pickup truck = :dizzy:

18. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

One thing that I have found that helps me stack a little higher is to push one blade full in front of the pile. Then stack on the second push. Having more snow in front of the blade gets me another foot or two. Still only can get about eight feet or a little more from solid ground. I have not tried to drive up the pile, just seems like a bad idea.

19. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

The higher I stack, the more snow I drag back with me into the parking lot. I usually can push up about 10 feet with the plow in SCOOP. Any more than that and the customer needs to be sold on snow REMOVAL or RELOCATION.

20. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

O yea of litle faith

I know not much snow on the front and bad quality but its all I got... for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyfG91s8UxA