1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Correct "type" of battery cable

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by xtreem3d, Dec 13, 2009.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

evening guys,
    i have always "heard" that the correct type of cable to use for batteries is the kind that has the bigger but fewer strands of stiff copper wire and not the kind of copper wire that has a gazillion strands like welding cable...can anyone confirm this for sure? got to thinking that my Smith dual electric spreader basically has welding type heavy guage cable and not the larger strand cable
    thanks,
    steve

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Welding wire is very popular. My HO charging kit from NAPA is welding wire. It's definitely easier to work with.

3. F-SERIES BEAST

F-SERIES BEAST Member

I've always heard that battery cable is better due to a lower strand count, compared to welding cable which has a higher strand count... Only thing i have ever really come up with is, as long as you have the right gauge your good to go, the awg size of the strands only determines how flexible the wire will be.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The more strands the better.

Fine strand welding cable is the recommended cable. Easier to work with, good purity and very finely stranded. Just what you want.

5. xtreem3d

ok thanks..completely different from what i have understood..why do you guys suppose auto makers and heavy equip don't use it?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Cost is the #1 reason.

7. F-SERIES BEAST

F-SERIES BEAST Member

The auto makers don't use fine strand cause it's very flexible, batteries and alternators are mounted ridged, they want the wire ridged as well so it doesn't move and get the insulation wore down. Then the cost of it, to supply it, then to hold it in place, so it doesn't move.. basically money, like b &b said.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  8. xtreem3d

thanks for the info guys very helpful . i see at this site they only use welding cable http://www.thesolar.biz/Quick_Cable_Battery_cable.htm i also just learned by reading the "Battery Interconnect" heading that soldering the copper lug to the cable is a no-no which is exactly what i just did on a connection to my Smith spreader...guess i'l remove it and crimp it on tomorrow,
    steve

9. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

So B&B some recommended soldering the cable ends before butting on the battery clamps ....
    Is this not a good Idea ???? Just leave them bare ends ????
    I bought cable from Farm&Fleet store to use....Will it work ??? It is already hooked up that way...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I would not change your connections, after all, the battery posts are lead? Lead cant be that bad of a conductor. It is possible that a GOOD crimp is better than a solder connection, but can you make a crimp connection with 12 tons of force? A crimp connection may start with less resistance but after a while corrosion will degrade the connection while solder will keep contaminates out.

11. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I still don't know what is best ... If I should undo what I did ???..Posted above!!! No. 9

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Rich - You're fine.