1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Correct Strength Hardware for plow A frame

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by spider21, Dec 20, 2006.

1. spider21

spider21 Junior Member

Anyone know What type of bolts you can use to replace A frame Hardware such as the bolts that hold the piston arms to the A frame and the center bolt that it pivots on. Meyer hardware is way to expensive I am sure the bolts can be bought elsewhere but they would have to be a certain strength to hold up. I have put bolts I bought at a hardware store in the center pivot of the A frame and cracked them in half. I am only referring to the nut and bolt hardware and not the special bolts that you can only get thru Meyer.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Most Genuine Meyer hardware is Gr.5. The thinking behind using Gr.5 instead of Gr.8 is you want the bolt to bend rather than break. And, in an angle cylinder or a povit bolt for example you want the bolt to be softer than the surrounding material so the bolt will wear, not the steel around it.
  3. Plow_king

Plow_king Member
    from NJ

The angle arms are grade 5 and the pivot bolt is grade 8. I just replaced all of these.