1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

correct me if wrong??

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by junker1, Nov 27, 2012.

1. junker1

junker1 Junior Member
    from maine

these are random numbers and fake lots so bear with me.

say i bid a doctors office at $100.00 per 10 inches .2 inch trigger

i get 8 inches on a sunday, the place is not open so i go one time and plow. I collect $100.00 ??

snow starts monday morning 6am. come 9 am there is 2 inches on the ground,and a dozen cars in the lot. now i plow that accesable 2 inches ( open the lanes ) for $20.00?

that doesnt sound right.

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Spot on, you got it

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

each day is a new event in my book

4. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

We work on a per plow basis. Meaning is $100 everytime we plow.

for example...
    Sunday 10" of snow., Bill them $100
    Monday morning 2" snow, we open the drive lanes and return that evening to clean the rest. Bill them $100.
    Wednesday evening 3", Plow the entire lot once bill them $100.

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

My per pushes are per visit. Accessibility is not my problem...if I have to return it's another hundred. Hence the drawback of per push. I have to say, I'm very clear with my customers who won't go seasonal.Edit---oh $100 per 10" that's just stupid. I hate example questions. If you just had 27" in a season the doctor's office grosed you $300???

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Per plow is per plow,bill each time.So bill them 300.00

7. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Word your contracts for UP to 10 inches at $100. Over 10 inches $200 ect.

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Say there was a 4'' snow
    So you charge per visit not by inches
    So you charge $100 for the visit 3'' snow and come back in few hrs you charge $100 again for
    1'' of snow

9. grandview

Thumbs Up yes

10. junker1

junker1 Junior Member
    from maine

Of course it would have to be snowing pretty heavy to accumalate but IMO, an office building that has clients come visit simply cannot have 5 or ,6 inches of snow on the ground. Therfore it needs to be plowed every two or 3 inches (whatever keeps it safe for the clients). I think that if I am going back to open them up they need to pay accordingly.

Now if i am paying for commercial auto and general liability insurance along with fuel, labor, maintenance, taxes and whatnot, and if I am taking complete responsibility for that lot during an event then I should be able to get more than $20.00 to visit that lot.

So i think I would bid it $100.00 everytime i come during buisness hours after buisness hours I can come at my liesure.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  11. grandview

Plus and minus .I do a few doctor offices, Closed on weekends so then don't get plowed till Monday morning .But during office hours I'll do the aisles.But then again I'm seasonal ,less plowing the better.

12. junker1

junker1 Junior Member
    from maine

by doing that you are only getting $50.00 per plow.

13. junker1

junker1 Junior Member
    from maine

so what do you charge them when you come to clean the isles?

14. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

$100 .

I use per push pricing to sell seasonal. IMO my seasonals get better service. My standards are higher than some of my customers and I want the lots that I service to be done according to a standard that stands out but I need to make money on them or why bother. There are way to many variables on per inch, it's a precursor to the type of client you are about to engage if they ask for a per inch price. I have been asked for per inch and my answer is always the same, " How many inches are you predicting this winter.?"

15. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

We do our estimates as a 2"-4.99", 5"-7.99". 8"-11"

This way it covers our butt if we get 6" of snow and heavy winds causing big drifts which is not uncommon for us.

At 11"+ The blizzard clause kicks in, which is we will charge what ever we need to as long as it's fair.

Partial Plows when cars are present are generally 2/3rds to 1/2 the price of the total snow pushed at that specific time.

16. junker1

junker1 Junior Member
    from maine

Thanks everyone.

2//3 or even 1/2 could be fair depending on the situation, as they are all different. I do agree with Mr M on maintaining the lots.

17. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Yes but its a quick in and out, I am not plowing the whole lot so why charge them as if I am.

18. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

If that's you're thinking, then you're not charging per push, you're thinking per hour.

19. grandview

All part of seasonal contracts for me .Good service keeps them coming back and cost me less to find new customers. Also on the lite winters they don't look to change the contract from seasonal to per push.

20. junker1

junker1 Junior Member
    from maine

oh ok ,sorry didnt see earlier, you charge seasonal, gotcha