1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Correct ballast weight in the bed

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by boss75, Jan 25, 2016.

1. boss75

boss75 Senior Member
    from MI

Any input into how much ballast weight to use in a 2013 2500 HD WT that would be located in the rear of the bed space. Has a Boss 8' Super Duty on it. No issues what so ever with the trucks operation. Thanks.
  2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Id be willing to bet a kick in the nuts theres a couple threads here about this, if you do a search......besides, if you have no issues anyway, why use ballast? Are you worried of high seas that you may encounter?
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You may thnk everything is fine.
    Go 30-45mph and make an evasive maneuver,
    Such as to miss a kid that runs out from behind a snow bank.
    And see how that rear end swings around.

To counter act the weight of the plow and balance out your rig.
    Start with around #200-300lb
    But don't be afraid to add twice as much.

This will improve handeling such as steering, brakeing and traction.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  4. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

The Boss website can give you that information. Just select the plow selector and fill in the menu. Once you reach the summary. The results will tell you what the required ballast weight should be.
  5. boss75

boss75 Senior Member
    from MI

No, just a kick in the nuts.
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Well said !!!

You're more likely to spin out on a higher speed curve
  7. boss75

boss75 Senior Member
    from MI

Thanks everyone.
  8. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I usually keep three or four hookers that I picked up on 10th St. in North Chicago in the bed for ballast.
  9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

That's a lot of weight...:eek::waving:
  10. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Nah, they're usually crackheads, so they only weigh about 90 lbs. a piece. I should probably get a few more.
  11. George C

George C Senior Member

Personally, I think driving with the plow mounted is unsafe without ballast.
    It's so easy to stick 5 or 6 sand tubes in the back.
    I also use a plastic pallet in front of them so they don't slide from the end of the box to the front.

I run 5 tubes in my truck, and I probably should run more.
  12. Ballast is an absolute must for anyone who takes plowing seriously. It really isn't about the added traction from the weight as it is about counterbalancing all that extra weight on the front.
  13. George C

George C Senior Member

I agree. It has nothing to do with traction. It's about balance and driving down the road safely.
    Without proper balance on icy roads, you are one quick reaction (to others on the road) from killing someone.
  14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ballast or counterweight?

A good rule of thumb is to use the same amount of weight for ballast as how mulch the plow weighs. If you're going for counterweight, you could drop a hundred or two pounds. (or half to a whole hooker)
  15. jmassi

jmassi Senior Member

I have a 900lb Meyer poly plow and i have a 700lb steel plate that i throw in the bed for ballast. That with some god tires, truck is like a tank. It'll plow through most anything...
  16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Is it also increases the traction the rear wheels have.

So the counterweight does two things. As it balances out your rig andmyou gain tractin.

I don't use ballest as my rig is not top heavy,
    Little concern about tipping over.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  17. George C

George C Senior Member

Ballast has nothing to do with balancing out top to bottom. A plow doesn't make a truck tipsy.
    Its about front to back.
    Its about turning quickly and having your rear end come around and cause a spin out because a snow plow without rear counterweight levers the center-point of weight to the front..
    Its like trying to take a sharp corner at speed on a bicycle with a fat kid standing on the front tire axle,
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

if you go back and read my first post
    i make the same argument about handling.....

is used in sailing ships and cargo ships to counter act it being top heavy, thus limiting the possibility of the ship tipping over.

a counter weight is used to balance.

Definition of ballast

heavy material (such as rocks or water) that is put on a ship to make it steady or on a balloon to control its height in the air
    : a heavy substance placed in such a way as to improve stability and control (as of the draft of a ship or the buoyancy of a balloon or submarine)

Definition of counterweight:
    a weight that provides a balance against something of equal weight

Full Definition of counterweight

: an equivalent weight or force : counterbalance

Examples of counterweight

The crane has a heavy counterweight on the back.

...the crane, like our plow trucks, doesn't use ballast.
  19. Class dismissed??? I think we are all saying the same thing...with the plow on the front, weight in the back is very important.
  20. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Funny I went on Boss site to see what was recommended for ballast on my truck, 2015 GMC2500HD Double Cab 6.0 auto 4x4 standard box with plow package and 8'2 VXT. Did truck input, one with 4800# front axle came up with720# ballast, but with 5200# front axle it showed 390#. Not sure but I though with plow package I would have the 5200# front axle??