1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Correct Advertising

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ADBsnowremoval, Oct 23, 2009.

1. ADBsnowremoval

ADBsnowremoval Member

Hey all this is only my 2nd post. We are a family owned and operated concrete and commercial snow plowing company in the chicagoland area. We have been in the business since 1971 and have a great reputation. We have some of our original lots that we have been plowing since the early 70's along with others picked up along the way. One could almost say we have about a 95% or greater retention rate in the past 15 years. We are at a point now that we have been trying to get in with some management companies but are unable to even get a call or email back. Does anyone know how or where I would be able to meet these people and get some face time if not some phone time? I have sent out mail fliers specific to the business parks that we service, have been able to get our website posted in the sponsor links on google for our area, but still dont get the calls that you all seem to be getting. Where do I go from here?

The few contacts that have asked for new bids this year all said that we where overpriced. These low ballers are really messing things up. How is a good, reputable company to grow and create new jobs? Frankly this is starting to piss me off. We have a huge company in Elgin that is supposedly even slashing prices now. What could these bigger companies possibly be charging per hour on their big front loaders? With such big equipment how do they even afford to lower prices. :confused:
  2. Bird21

Bird21 Senior Member

The management companys are usually looking for a 12 month contractor to provide all services for smaller lots and hoa's. With that said I am getting beat all over the board on new work so I am glad to have 95% retention so we are set up for this year.

Wait till the first snow and get ready to pounce on new work/
  3. jbis1782

jbis1782 Member

I feel the same way u do brother. I tried to put my loaders and skids to work this year since that is my bread and butter, but all i have been getting is a big goose egg. Some people dont realize that a machine with a 16' pusher box is more money, but u get more blade for the dollar. I had one bid that that had a nice size lot (about 100,000 sq ft) and didnt want to pay for multiple pushes when it is snowing. one push regardless of the amount on the ground.hourly rate. But the kicker was that the building had to be open by 4am. So when the storm ends at 3am and there is 6" on the ground there is no a truck or two can have it open. So i bid it for a loader with 16'pusher and a truck with 8.5' plow or skid with 8' box. They went with the other guy that said you will only need two trucks to get it open, and he was at 45 and hour. WTF
  4. Bird21

Bird21 Senior Member

Yep they just don't get it. It's a mindset that many have they don't see what actually is done to open the lot up because they are tucked in a warm bed while we are pushing, fueling, fixing, stressing, freezing, and not sleeping all so they can park in a clean lot.

Half the time my lots are bare before the roads are even touched. I run from the start till everything is done, long after my employees go home, so I try to explain that there is always someone watching their lot. Most get it and that is why we have had most accounts for many years.

try joining symbiot network; check symbiot.biz i believe. you pay around $250 to join per year and they send you work possibly in your area for multi/nationwide locations. Like maybe a 10 location bank in your city. they provide lawn maintenance, snow plowing, janitorial, interior repair work etc. they may come to you since you are on google and membership is optional but they stress that if you dont join you are not guaranteed to keep the work, and by joining you get discounts on heavy equipment, insurance, power equipment and fuel etc. and also you can go on the internet and look for your county tax records and try direct mail from there.
  6. ADBsnowremoval

ADBsnowremoval Member

bump bump bump